Hello from central New Mexico

binders

Songster
10 Years
Sep 4, 2011
Hello all!
I am new to chicken keeping. I got my first 4 ladies on Aug 7th and 3 more the next day. I have 1 white leghorn, 1 black Australorp, 1 buff cochin, 1 maran, 1 salmon faverolles, 1 welsummer, and 1 mutt (faverolles mix). I couldn't decide what breed I wanted so I thought I would start with a mixture and see if I liked any more than the others. They are young ladies about 2 1/2 months old to 3 1/2 months old. So far no strong winner. My leghorn is the most inquistitive of the lot and will eat out of my hand and jump up in my lap to see if I have any goodeis, but the rest are still very shy around me.

I have 4 dogs who are trying to figure out what is going on. They spend a lot of time around the coop/run looking very curious. I have taken them in one at a time on a leash. The chicken don't seem to mind them at all, they just go about their business. The last few days I have been letting the chickend out for about an hour of free-ranging before they put themselves to bed in their coop. I keep the dogs in during this time. Don't know what will happen when to two meet. It will happen sometime I'm sure.

Unfortunately my Welsummer does not seem to be doing well. Her eyes are swollen and she is quite listless. I have her separated and she is eating and drinking. Don't know what else to do for her. I can't see anything else wrong with her.

Looking forward to participating on this forum! It is so nice to "talk" to others involved with your hobbie/interests.

Happy Chickens to Everyone!

let me be the first to say

welcome-byc.gif

from central queensland OZ

enjoy the site!
D.gif

103742_007.jpg

Back
Top Bottom