Hello from Central Oregon!

MightyThor

Chirping
Aug 15, 2016
My husband and I recently moved into a beautiful 10 acre small farm property in Bend, Oregon. Since we moved in mid-summer, we figured we'd spend the rest of the season cleaning up the property and getting ready to bring in animals in the spring. I'm particularly excited about the chicken coop. I've never had chickens before and didn't really know what to look for in a coop, but our real estate agent has raised them for years and was quite impressed with this one.

Well, we were at the farm store the other day to pick up dog food and there were some leftover chicks from a custom order picked up that morning. And that's how I now have 8 little chickies peeping away in a rubbermaid brooder in the mud room. :)

I am normally someone who researches and plans a ton in advance before I take on any project, so these little ladies are keeping me on my toes since I haven't yet done much chicken research. I brought home the essentials to get them started, and spent all day today reading threads here about raising these little girls. I'm really excited!

My dog inspired my name here. He's a yellow lab named Thor, also known to the neighborhood as the World's Happiest Dog. He is very curious about the chicks and lays next to the mudroom door to make sure everyone is doing ok. I swear those chicks will think he's their momma.

Greetings from Kansas, MightyThor, and
welcome-byc.gif
. Happy you joined us! Well, you came to the right place for chicken research. BYC is one stop shopping for chicken smarts. Here is a link to The Learning Center https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
It will get you off to a fast start! Love your dog's name. My avatar is my chocolate lab. His name is Churchill. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm devouring all of the content right now, in between watching my chicks. I already can pick out some personalities, they are so fun.

welcome-byc.gif
- great to have you onboard with us. Don't worry, you are certainly not the first person to get chicks on a whim. BYC is a great resource and the members are very helpful, so if you have a question then fire away!

Best wishes
CT

Back
Top Bottom