Hello from CO

Following the template as suggested :p

(1) I’m new to chickens, our flock is about 10 months old.

(2) We currently have 6 chickens.

(3) We have 2 Polish, 2 Buff Orpington and 2 Plymouth Rock.

(4) Google told me about Backyard Chickens

(5) My other hobbies are fishing, hunting, firearms and reloading general outdoorsy stuff, DIYing, etc

(6) We are a family of 5, very happily transplanted from Upstate NY where I had owned a pizzeria for ~10 years. I am currently a GM for Arby’s, looking to purchase my own business again. We home school and have our own mini farm.
:welcome

Thanks for the welcomes!

No, I never did get sick of pizza, at least the eating it part.

I surely did get sick of trying to run a business in a deep recession and in one of the worst states to do it even in good times.

We’re really enjoying our chickens and their various personalities. The Plymouths are friendly and curious but a bit skittish, the Buffs are rather indifferent to everything and the Polish are the “doofs” of the world, so far as I can tell. The Polish are friendly and curious, the first to come running when we go outside. They don’t mind being carried around and they’re quite vocal. Just watching them, they remind me a bit of The Three Stooges. The white one thinks it’s tough and tries to “attack” your legs but it seems like a game more than any sort of aggression. The black one isn’t very bright, it seems, and is also low “man” on the totem pole. She tries to sleep in the door of the coop and we have to move her to a perch every night.

I like the Polish personality quite a lot but I’m a bit conflicted, as their very limited vision seems almost cruel. They sure are pretty birds and nice to have around though.

Can't the Polish use a feather band or barrette to keep the fluff out of their eyes ;)

Their personalities are amazing, and in mine each in a breed has their individual differences :)

G’Day from down under Peetza :frow Welcome!

I reckon they have chickenalities :p

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has a Learning Centre and also Topic of the Week articles which I have found to be a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group.

If you would like to share more Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Can't the Polish use a feather band or barrette to keep the fluff out of their eyes ;)

Their personalities are amazing, and in mine each in a breed has their individual differences :)

You know, I had that thought. Sort of chuckled to myself, picturing a “chicken in a sweatband” kind of thing. Almost tried it today. I keep thinking I must be nuts for even considering it.
The white one is fine. Her feathers stand tall and the tufts under her eyes are shorter...but the poor black one, her feathers droop down and the tufts are huge. You can barely see her eyes. I trimmed some with super sharp shears but she’s not exactly cooperative.

Last edited:
You know, I had that thought. Sort of chuckled to myself, picturing a “chicken in a sweatband” kind of thing. Almost tried it today. I keep thinking I must be nuts for even considering it.
The white one is fine. Her feathers stand tall and the tufts under her eyes are shorter...but the poor black one, her feathers droop down and the tufts are huge. You can barely see her eyes. I trimmed some with super sharp shears but she’s not exactly cooperative.

#83 here's a link with pic - using strips of ladies stockings/hose cut into small strips to use like a hair band. :)

Back
Top Bottom