Hello from Colorado! First week with my new hens great so far!!

law3500

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 12, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Hello,

Brent here, my family and I just acquired 6 pullets, 4 Red Star, 1 Buff Orp, 1 Wyandotte. 2 of the Red Stars are currently laying and we are just waiting for the other 4 to catch up.. We have a nice locally built 4'x8' coop and I fenced about 300 Square feet of run for them.. This site has been great for answering my first time chicken questions...

welcome-byc.gif

So glad you joined us.

Hello,

Brent here, my family and I just acquired 6 pullets, 4 Red Star, 1 Buff Orp, 1 Wyandotte. 2 of the Red Stars are currently laying and we are just waiting for the other 4 to catch up.. We have a nice locally built 4'x8' coop and I fenced about 300 Square feet of run for them.. This site has been great for answering my first time chicken questions...
Welcome! Have you started winterizing your coop and run yet for the winter months?

Welcome to BYC, Brent. Glad you decided to join our flock. Red Star is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries (like Murray McMurray) market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. The resulting offspring can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are whitish, females are reddish). But no matter which label they are marketed under, Red Sex Links are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. I've raised Red Sex Links for years, and along with my Black Sex Links (Black Stars), they have been my best layers, regularly churning out over 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom