Hello from Connecticut!!!

lilchickenbutt

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2015
Connecticut
We just moved into our dream home October 30th. We inherited 4 chickens with the house. The previous owner left me a ton of books but I must say this website is a lifesaver and AWESOME!! I know there is 1 barred rock and a leghorn. Not sure what the other 2 are. I have not been able to handle or pick any of them up. Very skittish except for the barred who is really nosy and likes to inspect everything I'm doing when im in the run with them. There are 3 nesting boxes and it seems only one is being used for laying eggs. The other 2 boxes have poop in them every morning. I've checked on them after dusk and have found the barred rock roosting where she's supposed to but the other 3 will be hunkered down in the nesting boxes. Not sure if they did this with the previous owner. Am I doing something wrong I wonder?? All advice would be much appreciated.

Once roosting they are easier to handle. I would put them where you want them to roost every night until they figure it out. Hope that helps. Welcome to BYC!

Thanks Samantha! I'm not exactly sure how I would get them out of the nesting boxes because of the way the coop is built. The boxes have a sliding door on the outside. I've opened it and would pet them which makes them leave the nesting boxes. I don't think they were happy lol. There is a small door where the ramp is and I've almost gotten myself stuck trying to reach a wayward piece of poop in the pine shavings lol. The larger door opposite the nesting boxes has the roosting bars sorta blocking it...

Hi and welcome to byc. I'd suggest blocking the nest boxes off after they have laid, or certainly before they roost. After a week or so they should get the idea. Even when the nests are clean don't be surprised that they will prefer only one nest box to lay - just one of the quirks of chickens I guess.

Ct

Hello BYC world from the warm Winter weatherland of SouthEast Ohio! We moved to a ridgetop farm with a little under 10 acres of land and lots of broom sage in order to nurture a non-profit educational organization that combines some of the oldest practices of Cherokee land stewardship with no-till soil generation, sustainable four-season food harvest farming principles [that was a mouthful]. We love this website and really enjoy reading all of the wealth of information from contributors all over the world! We hope that we have as much valuable information to share! Thanks for your warm welcome and BLOAVEZ MAD [Breton for 'Happy New Year']

Back
Top Bottom