Hello from Denver :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cockadoodle, Mar 2, 2009.

1. cockadoodle

cockadoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Denver
    Well, I've been lurking here for too long now and am finally getting serious with this chicken thing, so I thought I would introduce myself formally to this wonderful community. I guess I'll start with the sample template in the stickie

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    My father used to raise chickens in Holland but that was a good 20 years before I was around. He's now in New Mexico, and I'm in Colorado. He's totally against this idea, but knowing him as I do, that isn't at all unexpected. He was in a true farm environment where the chickens were a necessary evil in his mind, taking time away from his normal routine of playing with bugs or whatever it is that he did. I'm glad this community exists because it is far better than the completely biassed opinions I get from my family. So, to answer the question, I have a family history with chickens, on a massive scale, but little to no personal experience, something I plan on changing asap.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    I don't have any yet [​IMG] but am planning on getting 4 or 5 in a couple of weeks. Living in Denver, I'm a little too close to my neighbors to go on the grander scale that I would like, and this will give me a good feel for it, without having a massive flock while I am learning.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    I am considering Rhode Island Reds, Barred Plymoth rocks and maybe an easter egger. Looking for cold hearty breeds that are known for being good egg layers, while being more pet like in nature than some (for my daughter's sake)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    I think everyone on the planet knows about backyardchickens.com [​IMG] I think I found a link to this site from another urban chicken site.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Hiking, Fishing, Mountain biking, making my own beer, guitar, and some video games.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I'm a male, software engineer, married for 10 years, have a 6 year old girl, a chocolate lab, 2 cats and a 75 gallon fish tank full of fish.

I found a good farm supply store just south of town a couple of weeks ago and bought most of the items I need for my brooder. I had an old 20ish gallon fish tank sitting idle, so I picked up a feeder, waterer, pine bedding, one of those heat lamp fixtures with a red bulb and a small bag of medicated chick starter. (paid 28 dollars for that stuff).

Now, I'm in the process of building a real coop in my back yard. I've started with some material that I had on hand already. Took a 4x4 post and cut it into 4, 2 foot sections. Those are going into half length cinder blocks with cement to form the elevated foundation for my 4 x 5 coop. The run is going to include the space under the coop and extend out into the yard a bit to give them some sun bathing room. Focusing now on final selection of the breed(s) and searching Craig's list for additional construction items. I have a pile of new 2x4's but will be buying or scrounging for plywood, windows, roofing materials, etc in the weeks to come. Although I was a carpentor for a few years, I have forgotten more than I probably learned, so I'm taking it kind of slow and hoping to get the coop at least 50% done before anything goes in the brooder. Spring is here [​IMG] 70 degrees today and I'm itching to order my new chickens, let's see how long I can hold out.

Regards,
    Mark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy Mark,
    Good to see another Colorado chicken farmer on here.

3. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

5. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello & [​IMG] from NC

6. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Hiya Mark, I am south of you in the Springs! There's a pretty great thread going on for Coloradans that has people from all over the state sharing info about local sources for supplies if you are interested.

7. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Aloha from sunny Hawaii !

8. cockadoodle

cockadoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Denver
    Quote:^^^ Thanks! Checking it out now [​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member