Hello from Derbyshire

According to various wildlife agencies here in the UK foxes are on the decline so the neutering program may grind to a halt in the not too distant future. There is a vixen living about 50m from where I look after some chickens on the allotments here in Bristol. Her or her suitor did get into the run a few years ago, mainly because a new gate had been built for the run but the anti climb crank above the gate wasn't replaced. Fortunately she hasn't taken do daylight hunting so far although I do see her current suitor sneak accross the allotments from time to time.
It's not quite that simple Shadrach. The RURAL populations are in decline, but the URBAN foxes are on the increase. They are now pushing further out into the countryside because of population growth due to the food resources we provide. These, as with the neutred and dumped ones, just don't seem to understand the countryside rules the way the local foxes do. The locals have some sense, tend to stay away from people, gardens and dogs and are wary of everything. The Urban ones aren't bothered about people, dogs, gardens or anything, - it's THEIR natural environment.

Despite having lost all my lovely birds to foxes, I still don't feel inclined to jump on a horse and hunt them down with my trusty pack of hounds.
Foxes do a good job in the countryside, and if they manage to get my hens, then it's MY fault. The way we're set up now, if a fox DOES take a bird, it's blummin' well earned it!

It's not quite that simple Shadrach. The RURAL populations are in decline, but the URBAN foxes are on the increase. They are now pushing further out into the countryside because of population growth due to the food resources we provide. These, as with the neutred and dumped ones, just don't seem to understand the countryside rules the way the local foxes do. The locals have some sense, tend to stay away from people, gardens and dogs and are wary of everything. The Urban ones aren't bothered about people, dogs, gardens or anything, - it's THEIR natural environment.
Several years ago, my wife and I had gone to visit a friend in the next village who had a rare breeds farm close to Crowle Moor on Axholme in N. Lincs.
Her dog noticed something in one of the pens, which turned out to be a half starved fox cub that was eating out of the chicken feeder. The hens actually made room for it and carried on eating. As the dog approached, the poor little thing ran for the fence and straight through the sheep netting.
Apparently its mother had been " culled" by local farmers, leaving it and its litter mates to die of starvation. I imagine it was the last one and probably died not long after.
I can almost (but not quite) condone the killing of foxes in pastoral areas where livestock may be in danger, but Axholme is an arable region and foxes are too valuable as vermin control to be hunted and destroyed. Even our friend, who's farm must have been the fox equivalent to a sweetie shop in such an arable desert, was sickened by it.
I don't think our pack of Mexican Bug Hounds would be interested in chasing them anyway!

Just a quick update on Project Barbezieux. We had 2 chicks, a boy and girl hatch from the first batch of eggs I ordered. Not great I know, but they've come from Germany and had been roughly handled. Anyway, 2 is a positive result and bodes well for future orders. I'm a happy bunny. I have Barbezieux again at long last! YAYY! the next 12 are due to hatch in 8-10 days and are from Barbezieux itself.

Just a quick update on Project Barbezieux. We had 2 chicks, a boy and girl hatch from the first batch of eggs I ordered. Not great I know, but they've come from Germany and had been roughly handled. Anyway, 2 is a positive result and bodes well for future orders. I'm a happy bunny. I have Barbezieux again at long last! YAYY! the next 12 are due to hatch in 8-10 days and are from Barbezieux itself.
"Napoleon" and "Josephine". It has to be, really, doesn't it!

Attachments

• IMG-20230619-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20230619-WA0004.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20230619-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230619-WA0006.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom