Hello from Downtown Indianapolis!

gregg nowling

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
I'm new to this whole chicken thing but I am absolutely hooked.

Over the winter I finally convinced my wife to let me tear down the swing set in the backyard, but to do so I promised to build her a chicken coop which she had been asking about for the last year or so.

So being a good husband I cleared the space, found some old windows to build a hen house out of (we like to repurpose) and build a coop to go with it.

Now we have 3 hens, 4 pullets, and 3 chicks. The chicks are inside under a heat lamp, the pullets are out in their own hutch under heat depending on the weird weather we've been having, and the hens live in their house.

So far so good for the most part. We have lost a couple of birds in the process. We lost our smallest chick when everyone got too cold and she got crushed (that was tough :( ) We lost one for some unknown reason, and we lost two pullets from the same breader after noticing blood in their stool. One of them was my baby. I'm still sad about that one.

All in all it's been amazing so far. I get up early to check on them, I love being out in the yard now, and most importantly my son who played on the swing only once or twice is now outside every day.

I would have never thought living in downtown Indy I'd have chickens, let alone love it!

Gregg

Greetings from Kansas, Gregg, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Sounds like you are really enjoying your chickens! Good luck and best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom