Hello from Eagle River, AK!

ASHLEYINAK

Chirping
Feb 8, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Guess I should actually take the time to introduce myself instead of just lurking here for so long!

I'm Ashley and live in Eagle River, Alaska. I have my first ever flock of chickens here in Alaska and they're a group of spoiled, opinionated, adorable Barred Rocks, Sapphire Gems/Blue Sapphire Plymouth Rocks, Color Pack layers, and a Novagen, that were born March 16, 2021.

During the summer they free range my backyard, and this winter they will have their covered run and coop to keep them safe from the elements. :D

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? My parents had egg laying chickens when I was a child, but this is my first crew of my very own!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 10 now

(3) What breeds do you have? Barred Rock, Sapphire Gem, Color Pack layers, and a Novagen

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I love the idea of raising my own food and having a flock of little friends that do so!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I like dogs and hiking and gardening and reading and cross country skiing and fat tire biking in the winter.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation.... I'm a WFHer that works in finance. I live in a sweet little house I recently purchased, with my chicken loving black lab pup (he is SO GOOD with them), the chickens, too many house plants, and a greenhouse full of tomatoes and cucumbers.

Last edited:
Welcome. Do you have to take extra protections against predators where you live?
Yes-- especially in the spring, fall, and winter. In the summer there's so much food for predators like eagles, hawks, and such, that the girls are safe roaming the whole backyard because they have lots of places to hide, but that will be shifting come fall and they'll have to stay in their covered run. The coop is built SUPER strong but I doubt it could withstand a very hungry brown bear, so I have an electric fence ready to go soon to surround it if I feel I need a little extra protection. :)

EC4CE418-0E8F-45E9-9E78-379E7AA1C2EF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom