Hello from Eastern Ontario

Iziayia

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 2, 2014
Ottawa, On
Hello all,

I'm a fell bird lover from eastern Ontario! A little about myself: I'm a student going to McGill university studying in Farm Management and Technology - we have a cash crop farm at home, and some beef animals (also some horses, dogs, a cat..ect..). When I was young-er, up until I was 10, we had some chickens and I really enjoyed them, however they were all old.. and, well, yeah. Anyhow, this summer 10 years later I decided to get some chickens again! So I went to a local bird auction they just happened to be having and I got myself 8 lil chicks - 2 Cuckoo Marans, and 6 (what I was told where) Ameraucanas.

Out of the eight (about 1 1/2 weeks old at the end of may) the 2 cuckoos most definitely are hens. The Ameraucanas on the other hand, I seem to have 1 Hen and 5 Roos (of which I'm really hoping that one is just a manly hen). However, it also seems that only 1 is a 'true' Ameraucana - The black hen I named Cro. There's 1 Roo that has the Pea comb but I'm not sure about his colour (if it's 'right'). All the others have the right body/muffs but don't have a pea comb (not sure what kind of comb it is) and some have colours I'm unsure of. Oh well...

In July I added some new chicks to my flock, 11 wee lil French Black Copper Marans. Out of the 11, I believe I have about 6 or 7 Roos, but it's still difficult for me to tell at this point. Anywhow.. that's where I'm at now.

I'd love it if anyone can help me ID my interesting 'Ameraucanas', and specifically the type of comb they have! That's driving me the most nuts, I have no clue what its called!!

So, without further a due, les chicks:

On the left I think is a 'blue' or 'lavender' Ameraucana Roo - but he has copper & green flecks on his wings and the wrong comb.
On the right is what I hope is a really manly hen Ameraucana XD

These two boys, the one on the right is for sure a keeper. 'Ameraucanas'

Some of my Copper Marans

More Copper Marans

They are very tame. "little darling" on the left looking up - a tiny tiny little hen less then half the size of the other Marans.

Group pic.

Another group - the guy with the light head in the back between the feeder and the water is another 'Ameraucana'.
This guy actually has a pea comb though, but I'm not sure of his colour. Also has slate blue legs.

The black Hen on the left eating out of the feeder is Cro - my only 'true' Ameraucana.

One of my young French Black Copper Maran Roos

One of the two 'white' Ameraucana's I have - this and the next pic show the strange comb he has, I don't know what it is.

Anyway, I'm here to learn. I'm really starting to get back into the 'farming' life I used to have as a kid (that high school took away from me...) and there are many projects for these guys and other fowl in the future ^-^

~ Izzy

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

GREAT intro! You have a lovely flock!

You need to watch how many roosters you keep. You should only have one for every 10 hens you own.

Glad you joined our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! It actually looks like you have mostly Easter Eggers, they are probably the most popular colored egg layer, they are mixes with usually Ameraucana or Araucana in their ancestry, a lot of commercial hatcheries and feed stores etc will sell them incorrectly as Ameraucana and Araucana Ameraucana and Araucana are two different breed that have strict written standards, dealing with color and their physical description that the birds have to match to be considered as their respective breeds. http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html and http://araucana.net/ are the websites for the parent clubs, they have write ups on their facts pages about the differences between them all.
The EEs I see in the pictures all look like cockerels... the funny combs are probably because they are mixes, if you cross peacombed birds with single combed birds you tend to get modified peacombs, rose x pea gives you a walnut comb which it kind of looks like your barred birds have, Dominques are a popular barred rose combed breed that could be in the mix.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how I'm going to go about with the extra Roos. I supposed I'll try to find a home for whatever I can. The ones I like I will keep, the rest I guess will be lunch at some point. I've been told French Black Copper Marans make good meat birds too but I'm not sure, they seem pretty tiny at the moment!

I know I have 4 Roosters I'm going to keep for sure, 2 because they are very nice (as in body/structure) Roosters and two because they are also very nice (as in pulled at my heart strings). I'll probably just split the Roos up. I'll see how it goes, for now they are still youngish and winter is coming along so I don't expect them to go all out crazy with the hens right away. If they do turn out to be a bit rough all together on the hens I'll make a separate enclosure for Roos only (a man cave XD) and just take out a too if I need his 'services', but I'l put him back the same day (I hear they fight if you take hem away for too long). I'll figure something out. Our farm used to hold 150 milking dairy cows in a free stall operation. I got plenty of room to make new enclosures!

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome To BYC! It actually looks like you have mostly Easter Eggers, they are probably the most popular colored egg layer, they are mixes with usually Ameraucana or Araucana in their ancestry, a lot of commercial hatcheries and feed stores etc will sell them incorrectly as Ameraucana and Araucana Ameraucana and Araucana are two different breed that have strict written standards, dealing with color and their physical description that the birds have to match to be considered as their respective breeds. http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html and http://araucana.net/ are the websites for the parent clubs, they have write ups on their facts pages about the differences between them all.
The EEs I see in the pictures all look like cockerels... the funny combs are probably because they are mixes, if you cross peacombed birds with single combed birds you tend to get modified peacombs, rose x pea gives you a walnut comb which it kind of looks like your barred birds have, Dominques are a popular barred rose combed breed that could be in the mix.

Yup, I figured but I was hoping that I actually got what the breeder told me. The one hen still seems to be pure-bred after reading the standard - but I guess I won't know until she starts laying to see if she truly lays the right colour.

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome To BYC! It actually looks like you have mostly Easter Eggers, they are probably the most popular colored egg layer, they are mixes with usually Ameraucana or Araucana in their ancestry, a lot of commercial hatcheries and feed stores etc will sell them incorrectly as Ameraucana and Araucana Ameraucana and Araucana are two different breed that have strict written standards, dealing with color and their physical description that the birds have to match to be considered as their respective breeds. http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html and http://araucana.net/ are the websites for the parent clubs, they have write ups on their facts pages about the differences between them all.

Sigh, I sorta thought they might be EE but I was hoping they would actually be what I was told they were... According to the standard though, my hen seems to still be a purebred, and my Roo I was uncertain of seems to be silver. Oh well, I was going to end up crossbreeding for my own EE anyway, but I would have preferred to start out with 'pure' stock. Oh well *shrugs*

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wow, lovely flock you have!! Enjoy all your poultry projects and we do welcome you to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom