hello from Eastern WA

yuppie chicks

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? This is my 2nd year with chickens (not including the couple years we had them when I was a kid)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have 5. and 3 ducks

(3) What breeds do you have? I have a black sex link, an americauna, 2 bantam red cochins, and a bantam golden sebright. the ducks are 2 swedish (I think one's a drake but I don't know how to tell and I am new to ducks) and 1 cayuga

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? my friend who is also on her 2nd year

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? gardening.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We are a homeschooling family that is blessed to have almost an acre in town. Our birds free range in the back half and we are in the process of building a pond. Our yard is a work in progress, the irony being that we own a landscape design and construction firm, but have little time to work on our own projects! We have lived in this location for about 18 months and since moving here have lost our adult cat 11yrs, adult dog 11yrs, one chick and 2 laying hens. It has been quite a steep lesson in life cycles for us. We have also relocated 2 beautiful roosters. Our dog was uninterested in chickens and we didn't know how good we had it. Now as we look for another canine companion we are lost in all those considerations. As soon as we lost our cat, we developed quite a mouse problem. She died right when we moved here, a month before the chicken lifestyle started, so we are wondering how cats and chickens do too?!

Hello
frow.gif
from Hesperia,CA and
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from Australia!
Sorry about what happened with your animals
hugs.gif

I think it's great you've got such a big plot, especially in town!
I live in the city, and managed to calculate that my property sits on a massive... 0.2 acres
lau.gif

Hope you find answers to all your questions here
frow.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from Mississippi! Sorry about your animals I've lost chickens to a wild dog before it's no fun
sad.png
i wish I could teach them to be ninjas then they could fend for themselves
gig.gif
not sure about cats but i own 3 small dogs boston terrier pug and a pomeranian, they never hurt the chickens but they occasionally like to chase them just try to train them that its wrong and they should catch on. My boss told me when his dog killed hos chicken he tied the dead bird to the dogs neck were we couldn't chew on it, eventually the smell got to the dog and after a week he removed the bird.....the dog never went near a chicken again and did his best to avoid them lol. Course my dogs are inside dogs so I couldn't do this technique but good luck and welcome

welcome-byc.gif
. We have an older lab mix that ignores the chickens. I was hopeful our Corgi would watch over them as they are working herd dogs, but that doesn't mean flock dogs. Poor guy knows he shouldn't go near them, if he is out when they are out he shakes as he fights the urge to go after them. So far, no trauma, but we cannot trust him alone. He hates all birds in general, little guy has always chased big birds across our ten acres - a picture as he is a ham on short legs, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. My cat steers clear now that they are larger but worry about the bantams. Good luck!

Hello yuppie and welcome from Ohio! Wow, you've really described a wonderful home and family! How lucky for you to be in the business of landscaping as well.

About the cats.....I don't own cats but my neighbors do, and they do come into our yard sometimes. They really don't bother the full grown, large fowl hens or rooster. The only thing I would worry about is chicks, or maybe bantam sized chickens. They might be small enough for a cat to eat, or play with......I think it would be fine to have a cat or cats, as long as you could keep the chicks safe.

Take care,
Sharon

Hello!
welcome-byc.gif

Maybe someone around here can help with the cat problem...I haven't had any issues...no one around me has a cat, but I have a big nasty barn cat who hates my guts. He guards the birds more than anything. xD
I'm pretty sure he's thinking..."If you forget to feed me, I'll eat those birds....I'll do it...so I gotta make sure no one else does in the meantime...ya know, in the event that you don't feed me."

>_< Sorry, I'm a chatterbox.
Welcome, welcome, welcome!
So happy to have you!

Back
Top Bottom