Hello from England

wildatheart

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Hello,
My name is Fiona and I live in the South of England with my husband Nick. We have five children and five grandchildren (but we're not old:D

I've kept aviary birds before but not poultry and have decided to get a couple of ducks.
Two reasons - Eggs, and insect control

I've thought about keeping chickens for some time now as although I only buy free range eggs I'd still like to be absolutely sure that our eggs came from happy birds.

However, I also have an allotment and I start all my plants off at home. This year the slugs ate every tomato and cucumber plant I'd grown from seed, as well as the Melons that had germinated, not sure if it's warm enough here to grown them but I thought I'd try. For that reason I have decided to keep a cojuple of ducks.
I've read quite alot on the web and believe that Runners would be the best option.
I am hoping that someone can offer me some advice on how to build a house for them and how the inside should be to make them comfortable.
I am a complete novice so lots to learn and any hints and tips would be most welcome.

Thanks
Fioa

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with the ducks!

hello,

Im from the midlands, coventry to be more accurate...but livve in Alaska, and I have runners. they are great ducks, pretty, nice personality, kind...but messy...I also have geese, rouens and chickens...

I am currently brooding some two week olds, and I have them in a bath...but they are getting a little too adventurous, so I am having to come up with a plan C, this is their second house.

They seem easy to take care of, my biggest problem is predators here, lasy year we had a bald eagle that eat two runners
sad.png
so we are trying again this year.

Do you have a water source for your ducks? they seem to need the water more than my geese...as for the house, they seem to prefer being outside alot, I have a shelter for my older geese and ducks they never use it... they always sleep outside.

if you need any help im not an expert but ill try to help...

keep the kettle on and welcome....

laura

Back
Top Bottom