Hello from Fort Worth TX

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OldHippieChick, Mar 26, 2012.

1. OldHippieChick

OldHippieChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Hi.
    I'm totally new to urban chicken farming. I just got my second-hand coop and six 9 month old Black Sex Link hens off Craig's List. I called code compliance to ask them about the legal parts and was told the coop could be right up next to my house as long as it's 25 ft from each neighbors home. I assumed I could believe what she said as fact. I made my purchases based on her response. Well, then I read the rules myself and I came away from it understanding that my house was exempt from the 50' but I still had to have the coop 50' from each neighbors home on each side. Since I was confused I called my code compliance officer for my area. She didn't know either so she called her supervisor and called me back to tell me I had to have it 50 ft from my house and any other house. Who knows which of us is right when three different people come up with three different interpretations. And of course this is all after the fact, so I guess I'm a chicken outlaw now. Ah well.

Anyway I am here to learn all I can to make my girls lives more pleasant and healthy and to meet people with similar interests.... at least until the city comes after me (?). So far the only real drama has been getting my dog to calm down. He's SO eggcited with his new friends. He whines and shakes and wags his tail and then he bursts out in wild pleading shrill barking. He managed to get past me and darted into the coop today and to my surprise, no one freaked out.

So here I am. Any room for an Outlaw like me?
    PS: Today I learned that it's not a coup, it's a coop. [​IMG]
    OHC

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    Welcome to BYC OHC! It makes it really frustating and hard to follow the rules when no one can tell you exactly what they are [​IMG] Congrats on the new coop...and becoming an outlaw LOL

1 person likes this.
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. [​IMG] from Stephenville Texas [​IMG] We are almost neighbors

1 person likes this.
  5. OldHippieChick

OldHippieChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thanks for the welcome Thomas and muttsfan :)
    Ah Stephenville... I went to school at Tarleton and worked at Jake & Dorothys and Jose's (I heard they are gone now). We actually *could* have been neighbors back then :).

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Jose's is gone but Jake & Dorthy's is still going strong[​IMG] they still have the greasiest waffle fries around.

1 person likes this.
  8. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by