Hello from Georgia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Smithsallee, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Smithsallee

Smithsallee New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    [​IMG]Three springs ago we where on our way home when we saw a sign "Baby Chicks $2", a swift turn to the right up the drive we go. A man comes out and we tell him we saw the sign, he took us around the back and we picked out 5 chicks. He gave us some starter feed says keep em warm and off we went.

Each spring we pick up 2 - 4 chicks to keep the egg production up. A week ago we got a call to come get a chicken with babies that had to be put up before the dogs got them. Off we go with fishing net in hand and an empty box. We caught the Mama, she put up a fuss as the chicks scattered one by one we found them and put them in the box, Mama stopped fussing once the last chick was in the box. Once home, as we normally do, got the cage out and set up in the house put Mama and the babies in the cage, yes we keep baby chicks in the house until they have feathers and the cold is gone. This should have been plenty for this spring...but no...a friend shows up with 4 fertile eggs! Oh boy I know nothing. [​IMG] That is when I found this site. I didn't know how to care for these eggs. Who knew they needed slow baking 99.5 degrees and who knew to turn the eggs an odd # of times per day. [​IMG]Well, someone did since I found it here. Back to the warm eggs, I put the eggs in a basket put them in the oven with a dish of water and turned on the oven light...it's nice and warm in there [​IMG] we just hope this will work. Oh yeah, no baking for 21 days, lol. This does not end this years chicken finds, yesterday we go for chicken feed and more starter feed and don't cha know they got their new chicks in...had to do it...

We now have 10 chickens and 6 babies and 4 in the oven...[​IMG]

I have posted pictures 2 are the Rhode Island reds, 1 black Ameraucana but I don't know what the other breeds are. So anyone who would like to take a peek and play name that chicken...please do. I will be adding more pictures later.

Thank you for being here, I'm still learning, on the job training you might say.

Lee and Sally

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio. That will be so neat if those eggs hatch in your oven [​IMG]

3. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Hmm - a recycled oven incubator - sounds like a project

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Boy chicken math has really got a hold on you. :lau

9. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BackYardChickens.

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by