Hello from Gosport, UK - Advice needed please - I have a poorly chuck

Kathleenclucks

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 22, 2013
Hello all

I am new to BYC and also new to chuck keeping. We rescued 4 ex `free range' hens a month ago, three Black Rock hybrids and one RIR (I think) hybrid. Kathleen, our RIR hybrid, is now poorly... she started with a discharge (but not foul smelling) early this week and the Three Amigos (Mabel, Alice and Violet) are on the attack. We've isolated her and as we are totally inexperienced took her to our local poultry vet. She says it is more than likely a bacterial infection as opposed to the fungal infection `vent gleet?' I have read about, and has given us a strong dose of antibiotic to give her, she is drinking plenty, but off her food, she will eat a few worms and a little corn but I can't get her to eat her crumb/pellet mix for love nor money. Is there anything I can do to make it more tempting for her so we know she is getting the nutrients she needs to gain a little strength back, we are worried she is going to get weaker and the infection will take over.. at the moment she's being a little trooper and she is such a sweet girl.. she is drinking plenty though and her comb is still nicely red and upright and eyes bright..

Appreciate any advice.... thank you.

welcome to the forum

you could try layers meal made into a porridge by adding water

or even try scrambled eggs and they are high in protein so a little will go a long way

or cat food if you can find any without meat in it

Last edited:
Greetings, Kathleenclucks, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! The post above gave you some good advice. Hope your hen is on the mend! Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom