Hello from Hillsboro, OR!

LittleChocobo

Chirping
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon
So, about 1 1/2 - 2 months ago I suddenly had this flash in my brain: "I should keep chickens." I had absolutely no idea where it came from at the time -- but probably Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. This was very out of character for me -- I don't like eggs at all and I don't really ever eat chicken meat. My friends and unfortunate roommates humored me as I watched videos of chickens and researched online and regaled them with breed anecdotes ("You guys! You guys! Buckeye chickens can sound like dinosaurs! Can you imagine some weirdo sneaking around in our yard and then have a screaming chicken flying at his face? RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRR! That would be awesome!" "Okaaaaay.... /eyeroll") and scanned Craigslist twice a day for free chicken things. They patted my shoulders as I moaned over "small laying flock free to good home" entries when I wouldn't be out of my dorm/apartment for another month, and then on a road trip.

But! The impossible happened, and I managed to be the first caller for a free chicken coop on Craigslist. It houses five hens, and I can pick it up today! In light of this, I figured it was high time I joined BYC. Hello, everybody! : D As soon as I get my new coop situated between the trees by the vegetable patch, I'll post a picture here. :3
^Strike all of that. The owner of the coop promised me she'd hold it until 8:00 for me, and when I called her at 5:30 to get her address, she had already given it away. D':
I ended up digging through the scrap wood pile for materials and there's enough that I may be able to make my own coop... wish me luck!

Currently I live on a 50-acre farm with my best friend Nikki, her boyfriend Tim, her mother Jill (AKA JillMom), and soon her sister Robyn. Also with us are Lucy, Rev, Spencer, Bugsy (the horses), Starfire, Smokey (the ponies), Lucky, Chip (the dogs), Mia, Leo, Spike Thunderpaws, and Princess Fuzzball Kitten Person (the cats). Most of the land goes unused, even by the horses - there's a patch across the road that I didn't even know belonged to them. Honestly, I don't know if Jill remembers it belongs to them. 'Cause I could build my own house out there.... when I'm out of college. I'm a Japanese major / Art minor and I'm hoping to be in Japan next fall, if my advisor gets on the ball that he's been ignoring for two years now. I enjoy video games, horseback riding, gardening, Japanese, photography, and, hopefully, paintball -- Tim just bought some paintball gear that we'll be trying out this summer.

My breeds of choice are silkies, at the moment, and not just because they look something like little chocobos. From what I've read, they're soft, sweet, and very friendly. I'm also interested in Buckeyes (the dinosaur-sounding breed; also, a heritage breed) and easter eggers. And as you may be able to tell, I'm very excited to be here!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from Washington

Nice Intro

Imp

Hahahaha! No WAY! They order honeydew bubbleteas and mixed berry smoothies, if I remember correctly! I work at the Deli! That's hilarious.

And, in sadder news -- the coop got taken even though I had an agreement to come pick it up around 7:30 -- someone else could get it at 4:00.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom