Hello from Huntington Beach, Ca.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by slbenter, Mar 24, 2013.

1. slbenter

slbenter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Hello everyone,

My name is Sharon. My husband Bob and I are retired, and live in Southern California.

I owned 5 chickens years ago, back in the early 80's, but divorce, relocations, jobs, and life got in the way and have been "chickenless" since then. Never lost my love for them though, and ever since our next door neighbors added a small flock of 3 or 4 beautiful ladies....have been longing to add 2 or 3 to our family.

I'll tell you something about me that I think you may have heard before from others.

I thought I was a bit of a nut. When I had those chickens all those years ago, I could sit and watch them for hours. I loved their sounds...coos and cackles when a happy lady announced the arrival of potential prodigy. My wonderful breakfasts [​IMG]...I really thought I was a bit strange.
    This looks like a very nice forum. I am familiar with forums, as I have other hobbys and enjoy sharing experiences, learning.

I may be a bit quiet at first. I am no expert and atm, have no coop or chickens. We do have a very old standard poodle, Rio. 15, very arthretic and not long to be with us, and 2 cats. Yea, killer cats too....there is a not-used schoolyard behind our yard, and so far between the two they've killed roughly 20+ gophers. They have pestered the neighbor's chickens....one of their ladys jumped into our yard over the 5 1/2' fence....the cats go up to them, but the ladies are big enough to frighten them, so no real worries there. Our neighborhood also supports a hawk family.

Obviously, I need to research and plan carefully. Bob is a very good amateur woodworker/builder, so I need to convince him to make me a fabulous, albiet small, coop. He's a sweetie....that won't be hard. :) I like what I see in the Americana....I think I spelled that wrong but you know what I mean. I want to take time and choose wisely, just want 2-3 birds.

I look forward to reading and learning.

Sharon.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Sharon & Bob, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Pleased you are getting back into chickens after your life changes! Good luck to you and enjoy your chickens! [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]well chicks need a buddy, and if you buy two and lose one - the orphan will be very unhappy. Three is a better number then you have a spare. If you get a roo(rooster) by mistake you should replace with 3 pullets. This is what is loosely termed as "chicken math' coops/runs should always be built larger than you believe you need. You'll be glad later.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by