Hello from Idaho

riverrat86

Hatching
Dec 9, 2015
Ammon, ID
I've read posts on this site for years, and I've decided to join in the fun .

I've got chickens, rabbits, and pigs right now . I've tried ducks and quail, and will be doing ducks again this spring.

I am CHEAP! Because although I farm for fun , it has to at least break even for me financially to justify my time . However, I am learning that there are some things worth paying money for, like good stock, automatic waterers, feeders, and food.

I also hunt and fish when I can, and would be happy to offer whatever advice I can to those interested in how we do things in these parts.

welcome-byc.gif
we're glad to have you on here

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. What kind of chickens do you have? I've become quite utilitarian in my old age. It's why my favorite chickens are Black Sex Links as they are readily available, inexpensive to purchase, very friendly and hardy, egg laying machines that consistently churn out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year with double yolks not being uncommon. In other words, they're a good bang for your buck. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you decided to join us.

There are some threads on hunting and fishing but those don't seem to be very active, but you could consider starting a new thread to connect with others who have the same interests under the Hobbies forum? But personally I only enjoyed fishing when you could catch one as soon as the lure hit the water.
wink.png

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've got a mixed flock with 6 barred rocks, 2 leghorns, 3 golden stars, 4 auracanas, and 1 RIR. I love the personalities of my BR's the most, but I've been really impressed with the big brown eggs that my golden stars lay most every day. I think I will order ISA browns and pekin ducks from Towline Hatchery this Spring. As much as I love having a diverse flock, I really prefer to have good egg production. It is hard to keep up with my weekly egg customers in winter, so I'm going to start keeping mostly ISA browns, stars, and Leghorns. So I agree with you whole heartedly Michael.

Sunflower, My five year old daughter is the same way. But at least she fishes, because my boys are always more interest in throwing rocks,

NorthFL thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom