Hello from Idaho

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by potatoesgonnapotate, Apr 6, 2018.

1. potatoesgonnapotate

potatoesgonnapotate Chirping

Apr 6, 2018
    I'll start with the suggested questions, so here we go :)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    I decided to get chickens this spring. My husband passed away last year, and they seemed like a good distraction from life, as well as teaching my children how to care for animals that could give us meat and eggs. I've also added 6 garden beds, increasing my total to 10. We are trying to grow as much of our own food as possible, and with my very small yard, gardening and chickens are what I'm limited to.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    I have 11 at the moment, but it'll fluctuate yearly because I'm doing meat chickens.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    3 buff orpingtons, 3 new Hampshire reds, and 5 Cornish crosses (testing out meat bird breeds so I only got 5 Cornish crosses)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    google

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Gardening is the biggest one. Music (concerts and listening elsewhere), reading, movies, traveling with my kids.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I have two young sons, two 9 year old yorkies, a 3 year old lab mix, and the 11 chickens. I work full time in a hospital lab and I have worked here for nearly 11 years. I have always loved animals, and my long term goal is to be able to buy 5 acres of land to live off of. My kids think that sounds like a good thing, so they're as hopeful as I am that we'll be able to accomplish that someday.

2. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    I will offer my condolences on the loss of your Husband Welcome to Backyard Chickens

krizrose, Teila, Angeline1978 and 5 others like this.
  3. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    Welcome!!! :)

4. Welcome to BYC. Stick around and soon you may get as crazy as we all are!:welcome:thumbsup

5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  6. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

My condolences on the loss of your spouse. Keeping chickens (or other poultry) can be a good distraction from stress, they demand care and are so silly sometimes.

Best of luck with your plan to get 5 acres, it sounds like you have the family behind you! If you'd like to chat with other gardeners, check out some of the posts under this link:
    Gardening
    Also, BYC has a sister site you might enjoy: TheEasyGarden.com

Make yourself at home here and feel free to share photos, ask questions, join in on the threads that interest you.

Thanks for joining us!

krizrose, Teila, Angeline1978 and 2 others like this.
  7. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

8. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    I’m so sorry for the loss of your husband. Welcome to BYC. We’re all chicken mad here and there’s loads of friendly, knowledgeable members who will be pleased to help when needed or simply just chat about all things chicken :thumbsup

krizrose, Teila, Angeline1978 and 4 others like this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcome:yesss:

N F C, Teila and 007Sean like this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please accept my sympathy on the loss of your husband

krizrose, Teila and 007Sean like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: