Hello from Idaho!

Hi Everyone!

My name is Veronica and I live in rural Idaho with my soon-to-be husband and our two dogs, Shotgun (Chihuahua mix) and Ellie (Black Lab). We just added six chicks to our crew! We purchased them at the local feed store when they were five days old. I am BRAND NEW to raising chicks. When I was a kid, we raised goats and rabbits but never chickens. I've always wanted my own chickens and my dreams are coming true. We live on a little under an acre and plan to have our chickens mostly free-range or in their run.

Because I am so new to chickens, I would love any tips/tricks/advice you can give me. Right now with them still being so young, we have them in the brooder with their heat lamp and other essentials, they are doing great so far. Some have had "pasty butt" and I just cleaned them up with a luke-warm rag being very gentle and making sure to avoid any type of hard pulling. Only two of the six have had this issue so far.

I have been checking on them periodically and when I do, I will talk to them and place my hand in the middle of the brooder with a little feed in the palm, most of them run up and jump on my hand and eat out of it. I do this in hopes they will get used to me and the sound of my voice. Is this okay to do while they are so young?

Thank you all and I can't wait to chat!

Any other Idahoans out there??
Hey! I’m also in Idaho. I like seeing other locals getting on here. My wife and I are also brand new to raising chickens (we got ours in March) and just added ducks two weeks ago. I don’t have too many tips other than this site contains a plethora of good information and helpful people. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom