Hello From Illinois!

Herdsman01

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Central Illinois
Hi everyone,
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? My family and i have been raising chickens for about the last six years or so.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Currently we have a small flock of 17 hens, but we will be adding some more this spring. All of our chickens free range around the barnyard and give us the best tasting eggs and meat we ,and our customers, have ever had.

(3) What breeds do you have?We have a mixture of breed, 10 Bared Rocks (my favorites), 5 production crazy RIRs, one lone sweet Orpington, and one long high-strung Easter Egger. I am also interested in heritage breeds of poultry.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?I believe I found out about this site through google

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Showing cattle

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I grew up on a family farm in central Illinois all my life and am currently a college student studying in agriculture. We are a smallish grain farm that also raises and shows purebred cattle. Cattle are pretty much the only other animals we have except for your everyday barn cats and our two dogs (one Blue Heeler and one Australian Shepherd) and I have had experience raising and breeding ducks in the past (had up to 20 or so at one time before I got rid of them).

Cant wait to get to know u all and I am looking forward to sharing pics, asking questions and being able to gain even more knowledge on these great farm animals.
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Theres also a bunch more Illinois people here also Includeing me
smile.png

What part of central Illinois were you raised in? (If you dont mind me asking)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. I'm in Chicago but have acreage out in Carroll County where I hope to be living full time within the next 3-4 years. My brother always had Australorps and I'm getting some too at the end of March now that I discovered chickens are legal in Chicago. It will be nice to be around chickens again. Luckily my neighbors are interested in the "chicken project" as they call it. I'm a grad student in Geography & Environmental Studies. Have fun on BYC.

thanks for the quick replies! Ducklover1 I was born and raised in north Christian County, about 30 miles south east of springfield and about 30 mile south west of Decatur. An BarbG that is really cool that chickens are allowed in Chicago. Even though I am from Central Illinois I am currently going to school up in Joliet, Illinois but go back to the homestead often.

Back
Top Bottom