Hello from Indiana!

PandoraChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
The Dunes Indiana!
Hi! Have been checking out the forum for a couple days and have decided to join!
My name is Jeanne and I live in NW Indiana with my husband Jason and daughter Emily(5). We also share our home with my Great Dane Milly, 4 cats(Tank, Tigra, Cougie and Jax) and a hamster, which remains nameless. My husband has been wanting to raise chickens since we purchased our house and property last year, and we have decided this is the time! I am very active in the dog world and compete in AKC events with Milly..Rally, obedience, and also show in Conformation.Before I had my daughter, I worked for a Vet(as a tech) and I truly love all animals.
I have a gazillion questions about properly raising chicks, so I will be spending quite a bit of time searching the archives. Right now my husband is using the site to get ideas for the coop/playhouse/run. There are some awesome plans here! We have started out with 12 chicks. 8 are red pullets, 4 are barred rock(not sure about sex)...The farmer told me to hold them upside down by the feet and if they pecked up, they were roosters and if not they were hens. So if that is a reliable method, only 1 of the BR is a hen, the other three are roosters. If that is the case, we will be giving at least 2, if not all of the roosters to my brother who has a very large working farm.
Thanks for having such a cool place to come and get educated on all things poultry!

welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
How does your Dane do with the chickens? You are on DOL too, aren't you? The name looks familiar:)

He does wonderfully with my big girls (although his tail sometimes sends one squawking), but I don't trust him with my 5 wk. olds. Their peeping and quick movements are just a little more than he can handle right now (his body literally quivers...lol). So when I have them out, I make him lay down and I keep a hand on his collar. He'll still try to soldier crawl forward toward them of course...lol. I figure it'll be a while before I trust him with the little ones. One misstep and a chick would be history.
Yes, I'm (rarely) on DOL. I joined when I got my dane pup last summer, but haven't been on much since those first few months.

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. I wouldn't read to much into that theory. There are only a few breeds that can sexed with good accuracy. One I know of is the barred rock. Most female barreds have a large white spot on their heads while the males will have a small or no spot. My barred chick is on the right. Notice the large white spot on her head. I can't remember the other breeds at the moment, that are easily identified by color, but hopefully someone will. If not on this thread, you can post pics of your birds on the What breed/ gender, and maybe we can help.
thumbsup.gif

IMG_1853.jpg

Back
Top Bottom