Hello from Ireland

niac123

Hatching
Dec 14, 2015
Ireland
Heya I'm Niamh from an extremely gloomy Ireland (this morning anyway
1f600.png
) . After finding so many helpful answers throughout my first year as a chicken keeper on here I finally joined in hope of helping at least one person with anything I may have learned from my own experience with my chooks up to now.

I have 6 precious hens Brida, Tilly, Miss Henny Penny, Poppy, Lilly and Heidi
4 silkies 2black 2white and 2 Rhode Island

I never in my life thought I would become so attached to a bunch of chickens yet here I am a year later building swings, creating new recipes and Spending every spare minute I have chatting away to them about anything and everything ha

So yesterday I got an unpleasant surprise when having some bonding time with Heidi my 18 month old black silkie. I found a marble sized lump on her back. She is acting normal, eating fine, laying as normal, no feather loss. It appears to be transparent but that may be just me thinking this. Has anyone any ideas what this could be?? As I don't want to put her through any unnecessary stress travelling to the only vet that will treat chickens over an hour and a half away. Thank you in advance for any help.

Thanks a mill.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us. Sounds like you have a lovely flock.

Sorry about your concern - you should also post under "emergencies" to get more opinions.

It is difficult to tell the exact location of the problem in the photos. But if the lump is just in front of her tail it could be a problem with the preening gland. And here's a link that describes abnormalities of those:

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/uropygial.html

If it is more foreword than the preening gland, then it is a tumor, cyst, access or an impacted feather. Is it warm, red, soft, firm?

And if you do have access to a vet who treats poultry, you may try calling them for advice.

Hope this turns out to be nothing of concern and she will be ok.
hugs.gif

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us. Sounds like you have a lovely flock.

Sorry about your concern - you should also post under "emergencies" to get more opinions.

It is difficult to tell the exact location of the problem in the photos. But if the lump is just in front of her tail it could be a problem with the preening gland. And here's a link that describes abnormalities of those:

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/uropygial.html

If it is more foreword than the preening gland, then it is a tumor, cyst, access or an impacted feather. Is it warm, red, soft, firm?

And if you do have access to a vet who treats poultry, you may try calling them for advice.

Hope this turns out to be nothing of concern and she will be ok.
hugs.gif
x2 good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

Heya thank you for your response sunflour. I will place it in emergencies so.
It's more towards the nape of her neck area on her back (if that makes sense)It appears slightly transparent can see a little hint of red and also white in it. It feels like it's full of air when I touch it. It's not as firm as a wart would be. It's warm to the touch but the same warmth as the rest of her back. The past month she did have a little molt (well little in comparison to my red hens) so it may be feathers .

I have forwarded the photos to the vet so awaiting a reply eek hopefully it's nothing serious.

Thanks so much for your response .
1f600.png
1f44d.png

Heya thank you for your response sunflour. I will place it in emergencies so.
It's more towards the nape of her neck area on her back (if that makes sense)It appears slightly transparent can see a little hint of red and also white in it. It feels like it's full of air when I touch it. It's not as firm as a wart would be. It's warm to the touch but the same warmth as the rest of her back. The past month she did have a little molt (well little in comparison to my red hens) so it may be feathers .

I have forwarded the photos to the vet so awaiting a reply eek hopefully it's nothing serious.

Thanks a million for responding

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I visited Ireland for our 37th wedding anniversary and loved your beautiful countryside. We're hoping to take our granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) for a visit there in the near future. Definitely post on our Emergency section. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom