Hello from Italy

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined the BYC "flock!"

You've received some good advice already!
smile.png

The fermenting directions say you can put the crushed egg shells into it. Will that hurt the Rooster to get the extra calcium.

Thanks to everyone who wrote back with some very great ideas.
Yes, I think I will get a very large rooster (perhaps a bit feisty) to help discourage the predators. My roosters have all had a bit of the sweet guy about them as the kids hand raised them. And yes, I will let the dogs run with the chickens. And I truly need to consider their safety first and that they may not want the stress of complete free range. Our chickens were raised in a back yard and we are acclimating them very slowly to so much space. I did check with our closest neighbors today who said to not worry about the snakes. They agree with ChickenCanoe that there is more likelihood that the chickens will prey on the snakes. They suggested two geese as guardian/alarm animals, as my dogs are all flash and no cash. Lots to think about. And thank goodness we left the raccoons behind when we moved here. I do agree that it is essential to be prudent. I am dee-lighted to be part of this forum. So informative. Zia

Back
Top Bottom