Hello from Kansas

Tehwrd

Chirping
May 29, 2020
Alma, KS
Hello.

I've been lurking around here for a few days now and reading through various threads. We are currently living in the city of Wichita and within the next 6 weeks (provided everything goes smoothly) will be moving to more north east Kansas to a 3 acre farm that we will be renting. This parcel sits on 200 acres. It seemed like a good idea to rent our first foray into homesteading. :confused: It is possible that the current tenants may be leaving a Nigerian dwarf billy goat along with his two kids (male and female), which are by him from a pygmy doe who died shortly after kidding, a male muscovy duck, and a hen (no idea what kind - I saw a quick glimpse, she's white). They've all been free ranging. They asked if we would take those animals on if they cannot take them with them. I'm not sure what this means for our future animal situation.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We are sort of new to chickens. We had some when we lived in Oregon 15+ years ago - with our landlord. She did most of care for them, we footed most of the bill.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We may be inheriting a hen, and we will be getting 4 chicks from a friend. Which is great because hatcheries have pretty slim pickings at this point and I am not sure where/how to go about finding a breeder.

(3) What breeds do you have?

We may be inheriting a mystery white chicken and will be getting some Bovan Browns from a friend.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

We are not sure yet, but I'm eager to find out.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I'm an avid knitter/crocheter and love gardening and preserving foods with canning, fermentation, etc.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We are a family of 5 (kiddos ages 21, 18, and 11) with 4 dogs and 7 cats. We homeschool (a rising senior and a rising 6th grader) and are looking forward to starting on the road to a relatively self sufficient homestead.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I found BYC when searching for "how to" information on chickens. I was also excited to find the sister sites - all of which I joined! :D

I'm looking forward to gleaning from everyone's wisdom while we navigate this new adventure.

Back
Top Bottom