Hello from Kent, England!

Nikitaa

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 12, 2012
Brookland, Kent.
Hello :D I'm Nikita,

I recently got my 9 chickens. Last Wednesday but uncle brought me 2 Pekin Bantams who are just over a year old. One is lavender, Ive named her Delilah and the other is black, who picks on EVERYONE! so, shes Beasty Bertha. The following Friday I went out and bought another Pekin Bantam, who Ive named Marigold who is around 20/22 weeks and I also got a Gold Laced Wyandotte who hasn't been named yet but is around 18 weeks so POL. Also, I bought 5 chicks that day, one is possibly a boy and he sort of looks like a turkey, so hes Turkey Boy. And the chicks are a few days over 9 weeks now.

Beasty Bertha, picks on everyone, excluding Delilah. Poor Marigold was getting it the worst, so my dad helped me build another run and now apart from at night, she's in there. I had the chicks in my old dog create when outside, so they could see the older birds and hopefully it would make the introduction easier. I ended up putting the chicks in with Marigold and they get along fine which is nice. Earlier today I let them all run together. My coop is a run either side so I can let 3 out one side and then Marigold out the other side, then shut it off so Marigold cant get back in but has lots of shelter from the rain/sun. Then I put the chicks in with her. Today though, it was raining pretty bad, so I opened both sides of the run so they could all stay dry and meet... It didn't go so well. Turkey Boy took on Beasty Bertha, she won but he gave it a good try and I was there by the side of the run cheering him on!

Beasty Bertha gave all the chicks a good peck or two to set them in line which I found a little hard to watch :( And then Beasty Bertha also thought she'd pick on Marigold a little too. Delilah jumped on board and delivered a few blows too and then the chicks were just running away and dodging the older birds whenever they came near.

So, hopefully things will settle down, but I think I'll have the chicks sleeping in the house away from the older birds for a few more nights. Opinions? This was meant to be an introduction, oh well. I'm just excited to have people to talk to who aren't going to get tired of the chicken talk, as my parents and boyfriend have lol.

Delilah is broody, Marigold and Beasty Bertha are both moulting, so no eggs for me for a while it seems :( Also I had a poop scare, it was a little, bloody looking, but after looking on this site I've learnt it is just the intestinal wall shedding.

Anyway! Hello from Kent :D

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif

Nice to meet you. I am also from Kent, England. Have you had much luck meeting other chicken owners near you? Seems hard!

Back
Top Bottom