Hello from Kentucky!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Blue Inky, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Blue Inky

Blue Inky New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    I don't actually own any chickens yet. I'm doing my homework ahead of time, but I think I'd like to own 2-3 hens and keep them in my suburban back yard. I'm a little shocked at the price of brand new coops, but feel confident that I'll do a better job creating my own. [​IMG]

I am interested primarily in egg producers and hope to find a breed that can get along with my friendly, non-aggressive pooch.

I look forward to learning from everyone in this forum so that I can have a successful chicken adventure of my own. [​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. Based on your criteria, I would recommend Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed or hybrid you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't think you have to worry about a breed that will get along with your dog. You never hear about a chicken killing a dog but, lots of dogs kill chickens. Has your dog ever been around chickens before, especially young chicks? Dogs tend to regard them as squeaky toys which doesn't end well for the chick.

I'm sure you can build a better coop for less money. The pre built one tend to hold less chickens than they advertise, and don't hold up to weather or predators very well.

The coop section can give you ideas and should touch on the basics. Welcome to Backyard chickens. Glad you joined the flock.

4. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    You are right about the price of the new coops. they are made for money not for chickens
    Even worse,well even better. is the ones you make yourself are usually much better and cheaper
    What works best for me is a plastic shed. I put perches in it and that is it. because it is high the hens love it. and with plastic you are less likely to have mites.
    You can do the same and build a run around it.
    The shed I have can sleep 40 hens easily. I have 20 at the moment
    Whatever you design make it expandable, because when you get the morehens disease you will find it a blessing.

5. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    Quote: You will laugh/cry for writing this. the friendliest dogs kill chickens, and usually they just love to play with them and use them as toys, they end up breaking their necks.
    Never trust a dog with chickens until it is tested and retested.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC! Nice to have you join us.

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] and good luck with selection of your new flock and getting your own coop built.

You have already received good advice from drumstick diva and Naser about dogs and chicks/chickens and coops.

Feel free to ask questions. Visit the Learning Center for lots of useful information.

The coop/run forums have so many pictures and ideas to help with your plans.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Many breeds would probably work well for you, but I particularly recommend Wyandottes. My Wyandottes have been beautiful, docile, hardy birds that lay plenty of brown eggs. Other nice breeds include Sex-links, Australorps, Orpingtons, and Easter Eggers.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by