Hello from Ketchikan, Alaska

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AKmamabear, Jan 19, 2015.

1. AKmamabear

AKmamabear New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    I have been lurker on this site since I started keeping chickens several years ago. I finally decided to join up after coming to this site so many times in the last few days.

I had a flock of Ameracuanas and Welsummers. A mink went to extraordinary efforts to break into the yard and coop one night (I mean mind blowing that he managed to get in there.) and killed my whole flock. He even ripped the heads off of some of the chickens! When I was done bawling (my poor husband gets points for dealing with his hysterical wife) it dawned on me that I had a couple dozen eggs just sitting on the counter and I could try and hatch some. I made an incubator and set 8 eggs. (I wanted to do more but my husband wanted me to save some to eat.) I didn't have a clue what I was doing and came to this site repeatedly to figure things out as I went. I pulled 3 eggs that were not fertilized and yesterday all five that made it to lockdown, hatched! Such a bittersweet experience. I now have 2 Ameracaunas and 3 Welsummers. I am so grateful for the advice I found here that I figured it was time to stop lurker and start participating.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC! Sorry to hear about your chickens. Never have had a run in with a mink before, only racoons and possums. I am so glad that you were able to hatch out some new chicks. Did you feel joy and pride when you hatched them out yourself? Anyways enjoy your stay.

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm terribly sorry for your losses!!:hugs But I'm very happy you have a new, happy flock!:)

Feel free to ask any questions.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Good for you - what a great way to bounce back from the mink disaster! Hope you will post photos I know we would love to see them.

5. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Congratulations chicken mama, lol. 5 New babies to love. Sorry about your flock, I couldn't even imagine how you felt. You must be proud. :)

6. AKmamabear

AKmamabear New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Thank you everyone! Honestly, I had prepared myself for a dismal hatch and am really elated that it turned out so well. One chick had to be assisted out and has curled toes so she is getting some "shoes" this evening to help straighten them out. I'll have to get some pictures of my precious little orphans.

7. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on the successful hatch! Sorry about the loss of the flock to the mink.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry that you lost your birds to the mink! But, congratulations on the hatch! I hope they grow up healthy and happy and can replace your lost flock.[​IMG]

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

I'm sorry for your losses! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by