Hello from Kountze Texas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by laurie5360, Sep 21, 2014.

1. laurie5360

laurie5360 New Egg

Sep 21, 2014
    Kountze, Texas
    Newly married...new home...new brood! Raised in the city, this is my first go round with my first animal that's not your typical car/dog. I located a local fowl farm and picked up one rooster and 4 hens...I am hoping to raise them for eggs only. Any hints suggestions or comments appreciated...

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

First, I would get some more hens. You don't usually want fewer than eight to ten hens per rooster. Otherwise, your hens may get overmated and lose feathers. Or, you could get rid of the rooster. If all you want is eggs, a rooster isn't neccesary. Your only need a rooster if you want fertile eggs and want to hatch chicks. Hens are quite happy without roosters. You will still get all the eggs you can use, without troubles caused by roosters.

I would also check out the Learning Center: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center It contains plenty of information on chickens and keeping them.

Good luck with your flock!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on your entirely new lifestyle!!! Wyandottes X2. You might want to add a few more hens to this group as one rooster can over mate a few hens and damage or even really hurt them. See how it goes and if this becomes an issues, be prepared to add to your flock.

If you do add to your flock, introduce them slowly. Don't just throw the new birds in. Keep the newbies in a cage or fenced off area but within the flock at all times. Keep them in this way for 3 or 4 weeks. Everybody sees, nobody touches. After about a month, you can then mix them in. Put out more feeding and watering stations as the older flock is going to guard these areas and can starve them out. It takes about a month or more after mixing for them all to really except one another. And always intervene if it turns bloody.

Enjoy this new journey you are on and welcome to our flock!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You need to introduce the new birds slowly. Use the see but don't touch method. Separate them from each other for at least two weeks. Then when you let them be together make sure they have extra feeders and waterers and hideaways. Bossy hens will hog the feeders and starve the other birds.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good suggestions above, good luck with your new flock!

1 person likes this.
  6. laurie5360

laurie5360 New Egg

Sep 21, 2014
    Kountze, Texas
    Thank you everyone for the great information!! I had my flock Inside a small coop/mini yard as we were building a larger fenced in area for them. As I opened the door to the coop, the rooster flew out and into a nearby tree where he's been ever since :/ not sure how to get him back down and it's dark outside now.... So my two questions are: what can I do? 2: should I be clipping their wings, and how?

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Birds don't move in the dark, so if you can see him and he isn;t to high up, just get a ladder and grab him.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I agree with the advice regarding getting more hens or re-homing the rooster. Best of luck to you.

10. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by