Hello From Kyrenthia!

Kyrenthia

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2023
Hello everyone! Bird owner from South Georgia here stopping by to say hi!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm fairly new to chickens, but my boyfriend has had them for a few years. I helped raise my first chick this past winter, We named it Bjorn and I'm honestly not sure if it's a male or female. It's a mix of silkie and feather footed bantam and looks like a muppet.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Currently, we have 22 chickens total. 11 are in the enclosure and the other 11 are chicks we currently have inside in a brooder. They should be ready to go out shortly here.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Right now we have a couple of silkies, feather footed bantams, one white leghorn, a lot of rhode island red chicks, three bantam chicks, and a few mixes. One day I really want to get some lavender orpingtons and my boyfriend wants to get a couple Brahma.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

The different personalities of all the chickens and getting to see the chicks you raise grow up. I don't really care much for eggs, so for me the real joy is just seeing them thrive and getting to enjoy life.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I'm currently obsessed with anything dealing with wool and yarn. I started out just learning to crochet, then I looked at how to dye bare yarn, and now I'm working on dyeing wool roving and spinning it into yarn. My goal is to be able to shear the sheep we are looking at getting and being able to take the wool and turn it into yarn all by myself. Other than that, I'm really into video games and I'm trying to get into wildlife photography.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

In addition to the chickens, we have 3 peafowl (2 spalding black shouldered, 1 opal), 6 blue scale quail chicks, and 6 guineafowl chicks. On top of that, I have 3 leopard geckos, a western hognose, and 1 ball python. We also have 2 dogs who are huge brats, but I love them. The plan is to continue expanding our enclosures for the birds and eventually we are going to get some sheep and tortoises.

Back
Top Bottom