Hello from LA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenLover56, Dec 4, 2016.

1. ChickenLover56

ChickenLover56 New Egg

Dec 3, 2016
    Los Angeles CA
    [​IMG]I have been looking at the BYC site for a while but now I have become a member. We have a small coop and 6 chickens they like to snuggle so we have plenty more room on the perch at night, we are thinking of getting more chickens but I don't know if we have enough room in the yard. we have three bantams so they don't take up very much space.

Any advice?[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Some more information would be helpful to answer your question. For example, how much room do you have in the coop and run? Dual purpose birds need approx. 4 sq feet per bird in the coop and about 10 sq feet per bird in the run. You'll also need a place to isolate the new birds for about 3-4 weeks prior to mixing in with your existing flock...that gives you time to really evaluate the health of the new chickens. When they all seem healthy and pest free, you'll want a way of letting them see each other without touching so they can get used to one another.

Read up on isolation and integration before adding more birds...there's information about it in the Learning Center.

Good luck and thanks for joining us!

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi there and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us!

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under ChickenLover56 [​IMG] Welcome!

You have received some good tips from N F C so I will just say that I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. You have some great advice from NFC, so I'll just say hi.

Cheers
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the wonderful world of Backyard Chickens! I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

8. ChickenLover56

ChickenLover56 New Egg

Dec 3, 2016
    Los Angeles CA
    Thanks for the advice![​IMG]

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by