Hello from Las Vegas, Nevada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by M McGinn, Feb 2, 2017.

1. M McGinn

M McGinn Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2016
    I'm wondering if sand is safe to use in my coop and run in extremely hot weather?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I'm a fan of sand especially when it's hot but we don't quite the temps you do over here in the UK :lol: For me I think it's cooling for them if it's kept out of the sun. You might like to ask on the coop and run section for what other members use ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-amp-run-design-construction-amp-maintenance

Your state thread would also be a great place for you so you can chat with other members from your area about what they do ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

People do sometimes use sand in their runs, coops and nesting boxes. Yorkshire Coop has given you some good links to check out, hope they help answer your questions.

Best wishes to you and thanks for joining us!

4. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Welcome to BYC, I find sand not good in the heat purely because it traps the poop and attracts the flies so you have to clean every day, but I'm talking HOT so may be it will be fine for you. Either way whatever you put down in the heat you have to clean/dig over ever day.[​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I like sand in the run for its drainage properties - in the heat of the summer I tend to water down the run everyday so my birds can dig down into the cool ground - that tends to wash away most of the fly attracting properties of the poop issue. Best of luck to you and thanks for joining BYC!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under M McGinn [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry that I can not answer your question, with our climate we opted for a slatted timber floor in the coop in which they spend very little time. However, I see that you have already received some great tips and advice so I really just wanted to add that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. M McGinn

M McGinn Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2016
    Thank you so much for your advice.

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hey there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens!!! I am so glad you decided to join our big, happy family! Please make yourself at home and enjoy yourself here! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by