Hello from Leesburg, Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jfmach, Mar 14, 2013.

1. jfmach

jfmach New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    Leesburg, VA
    Hello everyone,

After receiving fresh eggs from our neighbors for the past few years, my wife and I decided we wanted to get our own chickens. We should receive our chicken coop in early May (Tall Elizabeth house with double bump out from The Green Chicken Coop), and 13 pullets from Murray McMurray Hatchery around the end of May.

We're pretty excited about the project, and very busy reading chicken litterature and ordering everything we need to take care of our girls.

We live in Northern Virginia near Leesburg. We have a large fenced area and hope the hens will be able to free range (we have a brittany and are concerned she'll have a field day chasing and killing the birds... We'll have to teach her better!).

I'll be sure to share how things go when the adventure starts!

- Jeff

2. jfmach

jfmach New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    Leesburg, VA
    Oh... Forgot to mention, we also have bees (8 colonies). from what I've read bees and chickens can coexist peacefully. I sure hope it's true!

3. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Welcome and great to hear your'e getting into chickens! As you probably already know you must watch out for Hawks if your free ranging them. Something that a lot of people dont know and will probably argue with me on is this. Vultures (especially Black) will and can hunt live prey, meaning your chickens, if they are hungry enough. I have had this happen to me. Best of luck

4. jfmach

jfmach New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    Leesburg, VA
    Thank you Megan. There are a lot of black vultures where I live... But also a lot of roadkill so hopefully they don't go hungry :) I'll see how things go!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  5. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Cool, Bees! Iv'e been debating getting into bee's myself!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Eggs and honey. Now you just need a goat or 2 for milk... [​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. jfmach

jfmach New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    Leesburg, VA
    I highly recommend bees. They're easy to take care of (they mostly take care of themselves really except in early spring and fall when you need to check on their well being and feed them if needed) and people are very much into purchasing local raw honey (at least where I'm from), so it's a hobby that pays for itself.

I wish I could have larger livestock, but it's just too much time, and problems when we want to go away for a few days. Maybe when I retire :)

10. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Neato. I want goats. Really really want goat's. However I'm going to school soon so guess I'm gonna have to wait!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by