Hello from Lehi, UT!

davidmmulder

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
We started our backyard flock in April this year, and we've gotten most of our advice from these forums. I finally got around to signing up!
We have 5 hens. 4 sex links and 1 leghorn. Our sex links are content to stay in their coop, but the leghorn comes and goes as she pleases (and has a habit of hiding her eggs). We've clipped all their wings, but the leghorn is light enough to still fly over our 2.5 ft fence around the run.
We recently bought a larger chicken coop with more nesting space, and the leghorn started laying in the coop again (for now).

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with your chickens!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm glad your leghorn is laying inside!
big_smile.png
Leghorns are a flighty and independent breed so your's sounds normal!

Best of luck to you and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have some egg laying machines. Are you sex links Black or Red Sex Links. I've raised both Black and Red Sex Links for years and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out over 300 eggs per hen per year. I had White Leghorns for a while, but I eventually replaced them for just the reasons you mention in your post. They are just too high strung and flighty to suit me. My WLs screamed bloody murder every time I handled them and my children, who liked to make lap pets out of our chickens, hated them. If you decide to get some more white egg layers, I would suggest going with Austra Whites. Hatcheries produce them by crossing Black Australorp roosters with White Leghorn hens. They combine the calm and gentle temperament of the Black Australorp with the excellent white egg laying ability of the White Leghorn. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I used to have a few Leghorns and found them to be a handful, but fantastic egg layers. I will definitely get more in future. I think you should make the run fencing a bit higher, if you want to keep that lady in. 2.5 feet is small change for a determined chicken!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

We kept Leghorns when I was younger. They are pretty hyper and skittish. But I am happy to hear yours has started to lay in the new boxes! Maybe she did not like the old accommodations! Ha!

Enjoy your lovely flock and welcome to ours!

Back
Top Bottom