Hello from Lincolnshire in England

richardeblack

Chirping
Nov 26, 2020
Hello All,
I am a bit of an accidental chicken owner living in a lovely part of rural Lincolnshire with my wife, Moira.
I say accidental as one day about 4 years ago 3 chickens just appeared in my drive. They were very young and I asked around an no one had lost any. We decided to keep them. Unfortunately they turned out to all be cockerels! Even when the had matured they didn't fight at all and one day a friend dropped off a hen. Inkey took to her straight away and one of the cockerels went off never to be seen again and we had to find a home for the other one leaving us with just Inkey and Ruthy. They produced two chicks, one male and one female. the cockerel disappeared one day and then Ruthy was got by the fox. Her daughter, Bark, is still with us and we were given two hens and then another appeared from the breeding unit behind us (they raise 75,000 for free range egg farms so we think this one, Willow, escaped when they were being loaded up). Sadly one of the hens died a week ago after appearing to be egg bound and our handsome cockerel Inkey died suddenly yesterday. We found him on his back with his wings folded neatly and legs in the air with no sign of trauma. A very sad moment and the hens are all quite lost at the moment.
We love them and have immense fun as they are free range around the whole of our garden and small paddock (about 1/2 acre in total) all with the added bonus of a few eggs most days.
We are both retired so have plenty of time to enjoy them.
I have looked at this forum several times for information and felt it time to join in.
Cheers,
Richard and Moira.

Hello All,
I am a bit of an accidental chicken owner living in a lovely part of rural Lincolnshire with my wife, Moira.
I say accidental as one day about 4 years ago 3 chickens just appeared in my drive. They were very young and I asked around an no one had lost any. We decided to keep them. Unfortunately they turned out to all be cockerels! Even when the had matured they didn't fight at all and one day a friend dropped off a hen. Inkey took to her straight away and one of the cockerels went off never to be seen again and we had to find a home for the other one leaving us with just Inkey and Ruthy. They produced two chicks, one male and one female. the cockerel disappeared one day and then Ruthy was got by the fox. Her daughter, Bark, is still with us and we were given two hens and then another appeared from the breeding unit behind us (they raise 75,000 for free range egg farms so we think this one, Willow, escaped when they were being loaded up). Sadly one of the hens died a week ago after appearing to be egg bound and our handsome cockerel Inkey died suddenly yesterday. We found him on his back with his wings folded neatly and legs in the air with no sign of trauma. A very sad moment and the hens are all quite lost at the moment.
We love them and have immense fun as they are free range around the whole of our garden and small paddock (about 1/2 acre in total) all with the added bonus of a few eggs most days.
We are both retired so have plenty of time to enjoy them.
I have looked at this forum several times for information and felt it time to join in.
Cheers,
Richard and Moira.
20201109_231642.jpg

Back
Top Bottom