Hello from Long Island NY

lily cd re

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hi all. I have four Blue Ameraucana girls and a Buff Orpington that will be eight weeks old on Monday. They are all doing well and have adjusted beautifully to outside living. They are my first chickens, but not my first experience with birds (canaries, cockatiel, etc.). My household includes me, BF and a standard poodle (Lily) and a German Shepherd dog (Peeves).

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a nice little flock, should get some colorful eggs!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like you have a lovely flock! I used to keep parrots too. It is fun to have an inside flock and an outside flock. It is just fun to surrounded by birds!!!

Enjoy all your avian adventures and we do welcome you to our flock!

Thank you for your warm welcomes. I will ask questions along the way I am sure. My biggest issues right now are getting ready for winter and getting my German Shepherd dog to relax around them. His herding instincts kick in. My poodle is doing great with them. No inside birds these days. BF has asthma and I don't think feather dust in the house would be good for him.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have some beautiful breeds. Keep a close eye on the dogs. As many BYC members can tell you (some to their sorrow), dogs and chickens don't typically mix well, and many times, the family dog has suddenly and unexpectedly decided to chase and even kill the chickens. Once a dog starts doing this, it is almost impossible to break it from doing it again. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC from one Long Islander to another!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

I posted elsewhere about managing dogs and chickens and have gotten helpful suggestions there too. I am being very conservative about keeping a very close eye on Lily and the chickens and I have had Peeves on leash or at least wearing a collar so I can get physical control over his super fast. Lily has adjusted well to having them around and is happy they are more grown up and outside. Peeves is making progress but we watch him very closely.

I have really enjoyed watching the girlies grow and develop into little ladies. They are way more interesting than I anticipated they would be. The orpington and the black ameraucana are just the friendliest things too! They had a hard time with being outside after having had a few days in the brooder where they could fly up onto the edge and jump on my arm. They still are always very happy to get cuddled.

LIChickens how much insulation, etc do you provide for your birds in the winter? My concern as it is starting to cool down is that they will feel the cold more than next year since they are still young and not as meaty as i think they will be when they are fully grown.

Back
Top Bottom