Hello from Los Gatos, CA

I thought I had introduced myself, but I guess I didn't...

I've had a small flock for the past 12 years. None of my original girls are still around, at my old house they free ranged. We moved about five years ago and within a few days of being at the new house the local coyote crew had me figured out.

I currently have 8 in the flock; Dottie is a Mille Fluer d'Uncle (silliest hen ever!), Medea is a chick eating menace of an Ameraucana, Goldie is a Buff Brahama, they are all three year olds. I purchased 10 chicks from Mypetchicken.com this spring. Then the pandemic hit, and none of our local feed/hardware were carrying chicks, so I gave four of the new birds to a friend who lost several of her girls to old age last year. SO my new crew are Meredith Grey and Midnight are both blue splash Orpingtons, Dolly is a Buff Orpington, Crystal Gayle is a Jersey Giant, Rheba is a New Hampshire Red, and Faith is a Barred Rock.

I started raising chickens because, well, eggs. I did not realize that they were possibly the clowns of the bird world. Terry Pratchett once described chickens as "running as though their knicker elastic was broken". When I approach the (now well fenced and predator proof veggie garden and chicken run) the girls all run to me as though I was the biggest rock star in the world! The CORN LADY IS HERE, THE CORN LADY IS HERE they seem to say. So what started as a desire to have eggs has become pure joy of sharing my garden with these tiny commediennes.

My husband and I live in a very rural part of Silicon Valley where he restores vintage Italian cars and motorcycles, I (up until March 2020) work for a small theatre company, I am also a painter and knitter, we rescue pit bulls (our current pittie will sit in the garden with the chickens and not even pay attention to them), we have a goofy St. Bernard (who would like to eat any and every chicken he sees, thankfully he can't get in the yard, and even if he could there is no way he could catch a chicken in his wildest dreams).

Finally my sister suggested I look up BYC, she is as nutty about her girls as I am mine!

Cheers - Chela
Welcome to BYC!

So for both Kathy and Kiki, how are your birds doing in the heat? Kiki, it was 108°F at my front door (full sun, no breeze) just two days ago! (It was 87° in the shaded run with mister fans going.) I imagine it was hotter at Kathy’s and in Texas! Tonight when the flock was out, I had to put on a hoodie because it got cool. These ups and downs are kind of crazy!

So for both Kathy and Kiki, how are your birds doing in the heat? Kiki, it was 108°F at my front door (full sun, no breeze) just two days ago! (It was 87° in the shaded run with mister fans going.) I imagine it was hotter at Kathy’s and in Texas! Tonight when the flock was out, I had to put on a hoodie because it got cool. These ups and downs are kind of crazy!
It's not that hot here just yet. My quail were panting today but my big girls were not.

I thought I had introduced myself, but I guess I didn't...

I've had a small flock for the past 12 years. None of my original girls are still around, at my old house they free ranged. We moved about five years ago and within a few days of being at the new house the local coyote crew had me figured out.

I currently have 8 in the flock; Dottie is a Mille Fluer d'Uncle (silliest hen ever!), Medea is a chick eating menace of an Ameraucana, Goldie is a Buff Brahama, they are all three year olds. I purchased 10 chicks from Mypetchicken.com this spring. Then the pandemic hit, and none of our local feed/hardware were carrying chicks, so I gave four of the new birds to a friend who lost several of her girls to old age last year. SO my new crew are Meredith Grey and Midnight are both blue splash Orpingtons, Dolly is a Buff Orpington, Crystal Gayle is a Jersey Giant, Rheba is a New Hampshire Red, and Faith is a Barred Rock.

I started raising chickens because, well, eggs. I did not realize that they were possibly the clowns of the bird world. Terry Pratchett once described chickens as "running as though their knicker elastic was broken". When I approach the (now well fenced and predator proof veggie garden and chicken run) the girls all run to me as though I was the biggest rock star in the world! The CORN LADY IS HERE, THE CORN LADY IS HERE they seem to say. So what started as a desire to have eggs has become pure joy of sharing my garden with these tiny commediennes.

My husband and I live in a very rural part of Silicon Valley where he restores vintage Italian cars and motorcycles, I (up until March 2020) work for a small theatre company, I am also a painter and knitter, we rescue pit bulls (our current pittie will sit in the garden with the chickens and not even pay attention to them), we have a goofy St. Bernard (who would like to eat any and every chicken he sees, thankfully he can't get in the yard, and even if he could there is no way he could catch a chicken in his wildest dreams).

Finally my sister suggested I look up BYC, she is as nutty about her girls as I am mine!

Cheers - Chela
Welcome so glad you joined us i had to start over all my crazy birds died of old age so I'm starting over I have 9bantams 6road islands 2ducks 6turkeys 8chick eggs 150quail eggs in incubater i have a surefire way to keep the critters away get 24 of the hottest peppers you can find crush them make sure you pop the seeds and put it around your yard/run the bad critters will not come anywhere near them you would only have to reaply after a heavy rain or every 5mths and its natural so if your dogs eat it (I doubt they will but you never know) it won't hurt them

Back
Top Bottom