Hello from MA

kmscala

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
The City
Hi,

I'm new to the forum though I've been to the site several times since we began our chicken raising adventure a year ago. All had gone well up till the last few weeks when my beautiful girls started eating each others' feathers.
sad.png
So now I come to you all for help! I look forward to reading your posts and am please that there are so many people who enjoy chickens as much as I do!

Sincerely,
kmscala

Greetings from Maine
frow.gif

When our girls begin shredding each other , it can be a lack of protein, or other nutrients missing.

I noticed a few rough acts between ours today, feathers missing off the back of ones neck. This is pecking order and they will work it out- or be bald.

What I do is scramble up some of their eggs, cooked well so they do not understand what it is, add some sunflower seeds- or bird seed, meat scraps (no processed meats and yes, if feed ours chicken- they can be carnivorous) cracked corn and left over salad (omit the onion) or last nights left overs, mix together and let them have it. They will be your best friend!

Some people give their birds dry cat food, but heck, half the stuff that goes in cat food, I refuse to feed my cats that.
Of course Yogurt is wonderful for them and left over cereals are yummy. (If they can free range or tractor on green grass, they will have super great eggs, high in protein and Omega's. Nothing like natural) I hope I've helped and I'm sure that someone could give you a bit better advice.
Take care and welcome to BYC!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Hello, kmscala! If the same chicks have been together for a year, then I would be inclined to explore a dietary cause... like spook suggests. I am assuming you are feeding them a food mean t for laying hens -- and you might try giving them scrambled eggs for a week - see if that works.

Also - are they crowded in there? Just a thought - if they get out to free range or have a run with lots of space, then that wouldn't be the cause...

The other thought is that they may be going "broody" - search for that term... I have a broody hen right now, and if I didn't know better, I'd swear she's gone insane!!! She seems to stir things up quite a bit...

Not sure that I am giving advice that will help - I am not an expert - but this is the first thing that comes to my mind!

Have fun - and get familiar with the search tool - it will help a bunch!!!

Welcome to BYC!!!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom