Hello from MA!

maija4

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2015
Lexington, MA
My husband and I just relocated our four girls from sunny Southern California to cold, snowy MA. We have wanted to have chickens for a very long time and are finally in a place that is zoned for chickens. I am a complete beginner, but have a lot of experience with animals, including being a wildlife rehabilitator. We are starting to look for coops and chickens. I think we would like to start with six, female RIR one day old chicks. I would like to be able to pick them up from a local person in MA. We are in Lexington, MA and willing to drive up to an hour or so. How do I find people in my area using this forum?

I am also interested in the group to learn how to keep chickens over the winter time.

Thank you!
Maija

You are in the right place to learn. At the top of the page are links to everything you need to know. If you have questions , then post threads just like you did now.
Next , for threads from your area, go to
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you and navigate to bottom and put in Ma or Massachusetts in the search bar.
Out will pop up different threads from your area.
Since you are going to start your flock with small numbers, the easiest way to acquire chicks or chickens is from a local feed store. Many sell baby chicks in the spring. Also less expensive then ordering larger quantities from hatcheries. They do have minimums on their orders. Also have to consider shipping costs. Other options are to seek people selling chickens locally on Craigs List. I can already see some people grinding their axes for me to suggest such an option.
hide.gif
I have been beat up on some threads for making logical suggestions. You make your decisions on your own .
WISHING YOU BEST.
OH AND YES
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!I
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock"

@cavemanrich has given you a good link to find people nearby you. Good luck with any future chickens!
smile.png

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard chickens. The thing about buying very young (day old )chicks etc. is that sexing most breeds is not very accurate at that stage. By the time you discover you have a number of boys, you are already attached to them. Many communities will not allow roosters. This creates a glut of boys on the market with slim chances of finding a home rather than being guest of honor for someone's dinner..

To be certain of the gender, you may want to buy laying hens or point of lay pullets. Another alternative is to buy what are called 'sex links," they may be red sex links, or black sex links etc. and go by many hatchery names like Red stars, Isa Browns, cinnamon queens etc. They are bred to be very productive layers.

Greeters coming on board soon will be giving you their advise and suggestions. We all have our own opinions and you get to choose what would work best in your circumstances.

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you decided to join us. Also check out the learning center articles on raising baby chicks. Plan you coop so you can start construction by the time you get your baby chicks. Feel free to ask questions, we are here to help. Good luck in your new adventure.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. The thing about buying very young (day old )chicks etc. is that sexing most breeds is not very accurate at that stage. By the time you discover you have a number of boys, you are already attached to them. Many communities will not allow roosters. This creates a glut of boys on the market with slim chances of finding a home rather than being guest of honor for someone's dinner..

To be certain of the gender, you may want to buy laying hens or point of lay pullets. Another alternative is to buy what are called 'sex links," they may be red sex links, or black sex links etc. and go by many hatchery names like Red stars, Isa Browns, cinnamon queens etc. They are bred to be very productive layers.

Greeters coming on board soon will be giving you their advise and suggestions. We all have our own opinions and you get to choose what would work best in your circumstances.
Thank you for this advice. We are only looking for hens. I didn't see anything in our ordinance that said no roosters, so we would have so time... I guess. We are looking for egg production (I have four girls and we go through at least four dozen eggs a week). In addition, my children love animals and we think the chickens would make great pets and teach them a different level of responsibility then just scooping a litter box. I love the idea of more earth friendly eggs. Maybe one day we will buy more land and have a hole flock!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom