Hello from Mansfield, Missouri

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Missouri Chicken Chick, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Missouri Chicken Chick

Missouri Chicken Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    Mansfield
    I am new to the site officially, but have used it MANY, MANY times when I needed help with my chickens. I live in Mansfield, Missouri, which is where Laura Ingalls Wilder lived when she wrote the Little House books.

I currently have 17 grown birds (coronation/light sussex roosters, coronation/light sussex hens, blue-laced wyandotte hens and RIR hens. From that group, I am incubating eggs. I got sort of carried away this time because the last time I tried incubating (in a styrofoam incubator), I didn't get a single bird. So I set up 2 incubators with turners, hoping to get at least 5 out of each incubator. Well, let's just say that right now I am up to 36 birds and I've still got another incubator that is full. So, I am overrun with chicks, but I am SO looking forward to seeing how they feather out, considering the different color variations I have to work with.

I am also expecting 15 lavender orpington chicks in March from Hodges Farms and I am TOTALLY excited about that. I look forward to raising such a beautiful breed. I have a brand new house all set up for them and once they are old enough, they will be free ranging on my 5 acres of land.

Glad to be here and I look forward to learning even more as time goes on.

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

4. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Welcome to BYC!
    Do you ever go to the Laura Ingalls Wilder festival? We went a couple years ago, it was awesome.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington

Congrats on being overrun

Imp

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Welcome to the board!

It so happens I've been to Mansfield specifically to visit the Wilder homestead.

Pretty country, but mighty rocky!

8. Missouri Chicken Chick

Missouri Chicken Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    Mansfield
    Thanks for all the warm welcomes. The Wilder Festival is definitely something to attend if you loved the Little House books.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from a cold and snowy Ohio.

10. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by