Hello from Maryland!

MDcalle

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2017
Maryland
Hello!
I am from Maryland and am a relatively new chicken owner. I have one Rhode Island Red rooster, two barred rock hens, 3 patridge silkies, and just arrived in the mail today 24 silkie chicks!
I have the chicks under a brisnea ecoglow, does anyone know if it is suitable for day old chicks? They're all eating and drinking well. They hide under the ecoglow, come out to eat/drink, then go back in. I just want to make sure that they don't get too cold.

welcome-byc.gif

I've never used a Brinsea ecoglow, the last time I brooded chicks I used a heat lamp and a thermometer.

One way you can tell if the chicks are comfortable is by how they act. If they stay huddled together under the heat source, they're probably chilly. If they stay as far away from it as possible, they're too warm. Ideally, you want chicks to freely move about between the warmer and cooler parts of their brooder.

Best wishes and it's nice to have you here!

G’Day from down under MDcalle
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry, I have no experience with brooders and heat sources, only having had hatches under a broody hen.

However, I did just want to wish you and your little ones all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Last edited:
Hello there, and welcome to the community! I am pleased you could join us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy yourself here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

Back
Top Bottom