Hello from Maryland!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MDcalle, Feb 14, 2017.

1. MDcalle

MDcalle Just Hatched

Feb 14, 2017
    Maryland
    Hello!
    I am from Maryland and am a relatively new chicken owner. I have one Rhode Island Red rooster, two barred rock hens, 3 patridge silkies, and just arrived in the mail today 24 silkie chicks!
    I have the chicks under a brisnea ecoglow, does anyone know if it is suitable for day old chicks? They're all eating and drinking well. They hide under the ecoglow, come out to eat/drink, then go back in. I just want to make sure that they don't get too cold.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Yes, just make sure it is low enough that they can press their backs against it.

ETA: Oh and welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  3. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I've never used a Brinsea ecoglow, the last time I brooded chicks I used a heat lamp and a thermometer.

One way you can tell if the chicks are comfortable is by how they act. If they stay huddled together under the heat source, they're probably chilly. If they stay as far away from it as possible, they're too warm. Ideally, you want chicks to freely move about between the warmer and cooler parts of their brooder.

Best wishes and it's nice to have you here!

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under MDcalle [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, I have no experience with brooders and heat sources, only having had hatches under a broody hen.

However, I did just want to wish you and your little ones all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Oh my what a beautiful sight 24 silkie chicks must make. What colors did you get?

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS is there enough room for all the chicks under the eco glow? They grow by the minute

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the community! I am pleased you could join us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy yourself here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by