Hello from masaryktown fl

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by trev1lov3, Oct 17, 2016.

1. trev1lov3

trev1lov3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2016
    Hell everyone my name is trevor. Been using you guys for info ideas and research for a while and thought id introduce myself. I live on my grandfathers farm (rip papa). He used to farm eggs then public bought out his business in 89 but we retained the farm. Sometimes i feel like the only one on my family who cares to not let the farm fall into a pules of steaming ****. Its 120 acres and at its peak we had white leghorns produceing 375,000 eggs week (and we had hogs as well). om the pnly one who doesnt wanna see grandfathers legacy just turn into nothing but its hard being i have to qork a contsuction job to make eneds meet and try and start **** back up on the farm. After he sold the business we got sum black angus cows and have heard of about forty. We also grow out pwn tifton 44 hay on about 60 acres and then we'll shuttle them in to pne pf the hays sections during winter so they have that extra as well as their normal pasture and we can put out hay as needed. Well the rest of my family sits on their *** and does nothing. I thoguht it was nigh time to get back to my roots and raise sum poultry. So off i went with a friend to rural king where i bought 3 buff orphingtons, 4 black australorpes, 4 rhode isle reds, 4 bob white quail, and 4 rouen ducklings. Well first night i brought em back the quail died (even tho the had a heat lamp it maybnot have been clpse enough. They did happen to be the last 4 in the barrel at rural king and i brought em back on a cold night so i contributed that to them just being worn down and bottom of the barrel. So i commited myself to just the ducks and chickens and i would explore that interest at another time. Well i read on here about the dofficulties of raising ducks and chickens together and things seemed to be going fine til i lost an autralorpe because he ate to lpng pf hay and it was bound up in his intestine and she couldnt digest. I had a RiR that drowned itself in kiddie pool i had for the ducks becasue for a while the would only use the edge of the pool to roost instead of the perch provided. A couple weeks go by and one day i let them out and take off to do some errands so they can free range a bit and a neoghbors dog had goten out and killed all four ducks and 2 buff hens. It sucked. Especially after having learned that the buffs were the moat timid of the flock but since then eveything has been fine. Since the neighbor with the dog moved. Still dont know how it wandered over.. But everything has since been fine. Looking forward to making improvements and learning more. Flock is currently a buff hen, 3 rir ( one being a rooster) and, 3 black australorpe hens. Looking forward to conversing, trading, and learning with you all.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Trevor, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Awesome that you are trying to keep up your grandfather's legacy! Too many of the old ways are being forgotten, never to return. Wow! 375,000 eggs/week! That much have been one happening poultry farm! He would have had to have a lot of help with that many layers. Even though you are starting small scale, I think it's awesome that you're doing what you can in his memory. If you need to be brought up to speed on the various aspects of chicken raising, The Learning Center (brown tab at the top of this page) is hard to beat! I wish you well in your endeavors! When you get your first eggs, raise a toast to your grandfather!! [​IMG]

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! So glad you joined us, and I hope you make yourself at home here!

5. trev1lov3

Sep 28, 2016
    I already got my first eggs but the one thing i havnt seen much on is i was thonkin about trying to breed as well but i havnt seen to many designs or guidelines as how to make a divided section to my coup for that or if its to risky to have like an all in one egg producer/breeding coup or if it would be best kept separate. So far none of my girls are broody either.. Yeah we had like 5 mobile homes and small houses at one point for spme of the help and some other people living not to far away off site. They are all in disrepair somehwat badly but for now i have enclosed a porch on one of them as my coop for now being its a good central location but i have my pick because there lots of delapidated coops around u could repair and my aunt so grasciously donated a duck egg incubator she had laying around. My grandparents have been gone for close to a decade now but feels good to be starting up something again in their honor

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

7. trev1lov3

Sep 28, 2016
    Thank you great to officially join

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Great to meet you Trevor. Sorry for all the problems but, I know you will rise above them. Hard to be a "one man band." I think it is a great tribute to your grandparents to turn the old farm around and make it productive again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by