Hello from Massachusetts!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by debbisham, Mar 15, 2016.

1. debbisham

debbisham New Egg

Mar 15, 2016
    Hi there - I am in the planning phases of adding a small (4-6 birds) to our already crazy life that consists of 4 children (almost - baby # 4 due in a few weeks), a super hyper but lovable lab mix doggy, and my husband and I. We have a big back yard and have a big garden, and are eager to add chickens to the mix. We are taking it slowly and hoping to learn lots on this forum and also maybe find out from people around us best places to purchase feed/pullets/supplies.

Excited to have "girls" but want to do it right!

One basic question - should we pull up all the plants in the area we plan to have a run? (we will let the birds out in the yard whenever we can supervise them but they will also have a coop/fenced in area - we have lots of hawks/etc. The area we plan to put the coop has previously had a shade garden w/ ivy - we've mostly pulled it up and plan to put a mix of mulch/sand there where the run will be - does that seem sufficient? I read somewhere ivy not good for chickens.

Thanks!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG] - glad you have joined us.

I'd say leave the plants in the run - the chickens will deal with them, and leave the harmful ones alone.

More generally the Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread will put you in contact with other BYC members in your area, which can be very helpful.

(https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread)

The members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BC I would suggest you put "plants toxic to chickens," in the search box and see what comes up.

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Have fun with your upcoming flock!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] the chickens will take care of the plants lol right down to the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by