Hello from Massachusetts

Pigicecream

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
Hi, been lurking and learning for a little while now. New to the chicken experience. Wish I'd done this a long time ago. Have 5 Barred rocks with one just starting to lay. So far this has been a lot of fun. Thanks for all the information and confidence building. Very nice site. Look forward to learning so much more!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community!

Is that your coop in your avatar? Nice coop!

Make yourself at home and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Last edited:
Thanks TwoCrows. That is the coop. I started building the day we got the chicks. I'm not a carpenter but had a lot of fun building it. I based it on coops seen on this site. Am hoping it will protect them this winter. Been a fun process so far. I'm amazed at how instinctual the chickens are. They've been teaching me. :)

You did an excellent job on that coop build! Keep those vents open during the winter to remove all moist air from all the pooping and the breathing. The fresh air keeps the ammonia from building up as well that can cause respiratory ailments. Bed them in clean dry bedding every day and don't keep any water in the coop at night. This adds to the moisture content. Keep the roost bar low to the floor so there is lots of space between them and the vents and ceiling where all the moisture is going to be. Dry chickens are warm chickens. You can also tack an old towel to the roost bar to keep the feet warm. Chickens loose heat through the feet. So warm feet mean warmer birds. Oh, use a 2x4 with the 4 side up. You want them to be able to keep their feet under their feathers and at the breast. Toes that hang out are subject to frostbite.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. Barred Rocks are tough, hardy, dependable breed that will give you a good amount of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your BRs.

Back
Top Bottom