Hello, From Massachusetts!

CheapChicknMama

Hatching
May 13, 2015
Hi Everyone!
I'm new to Backyard Chickens, and new to having backyard chickens! My husband, 2 sons, and I live about 30 miles south of Boston, Massachusetts. Luckily, our small town doesn't have much in terms of laws for keeping chickens. So, things are pretty easy for us in terms of raising backyard chickens.

I've always wanted my own flock of chickens, because my aunt had them in NH! I loved going out to get the eggs each morning, and watching the chicken shenanigans all day long while visiting her. Finally, at 40-years old, I've got my own chickens!!

I currently have:
6 6-day-old chicks - all Ameraucanas.
6 3-week old chicks - 2 RI Reds, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Silver-tipped Wyandottes

And will be getting 4 RI Reds from my neighbor, which are about 10 weeks old right now.

The chicks are in 2 separate brooders in my garage right now. The littles have a heat lamp, the older ones have a regular bulb. My coop and run are almost finished... just need one more weekend to complete! I hope to move everyone into the coop and run by the first week of June. Though I expect it to be a little tricky to merge 3 groups of different aged chickens together - so I've posted a thread on another board looking for suggestions and recommendations for doing this.

I also love blogging and have started a website so I can share my chicken adventures with the world! Might as well share what I'm learning with others as I go! LOL! (I'm not going to post the link here, because I'm not sure if it's allowed... I haven't had a chance to read through all the forum rules yet! :) )

I look forward to spending more time here getting to know all of you and learning as much as I can about raising backyard chickens.

~Janis

Hi Janis and welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

So glad you could join our flock! Congratulations on beginning your chicken adventures. You have some lovely breeds.Wyandottes are my favorite breed of chicken; I love their temperaments, good egg production, and hardiness. Ameraucanas are very nice too and Rhode Island Reds make outstanding layers. You'll have an excellent laying flock with a wonderful variety of eggs when your flock grows up!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have! We'll be happy to help.
smile.png

Hi Janis, nice to meet you. Your enthusiasm is contagious - would love to see your young'uns By all means WELCOME to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock
yesss.gif

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I can easily spend hours in here (and do!) ! Everyone is so friendly and the site is chock full of fantastic information, cute chicken pictures, and amazing coop pictures! Here are a few pics of my chicks, though this was about a week and a half ago so you can imagine how much bigger they are now! They grow sooo fast!!!

The first two pics or of my RI Reds, Barred Rocks, and Silver-tipped Wyandottes. The last two pics are of my Ameracaunas.

And here's my coop and run - still under construction (though a little further along than what's shown in this picture - but still gives you an idea of what it looks like! :)

Back
Top Bottom