hello from MB

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by borealmum, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Hi Everyone ,
    I found the site via fb . I have been following there for awhile .Finally felt I could join the site because we did raise chickens this past yr. I love all the posts from small home nests .It has given me the confidence that we could do it .
    We only did meat chickens because we only live out of the city 7 months of the yr . We rent my grandmothers old homestead from my mother from Apr.- Nov. until we can build on our own land . both my partner & I grew up country but just seemed to get stuck in the city raising kids etc. we are from the East Lake Winnipeg/Winnipeg River area of MB. homeschooling family .
    Our ds17 helped his dad build our chicken house & it turned out wonderfuly .
    We did have to use deer netting over top the outdoor fenced area because we have many raptors . we had an owl on the property for 11days straight . the crows that followed it around were more irritating then the owl though lol
    We raised 12 birds & our ds12 was so excited when we drove to the supply store to pick the chicks up. He rode in the backseat all the way back .Lifting the lid of the box to peek at them .
    I had an encounter with a raccoon one night because I forgot to shut the flaps of the house that evening .
    When it came time for the killing we did this as a family . we each had our part .
    I wrote about it on our blog so I won't re-write it here but my blog link is in my profile .
    Anyway I am happy to have joined finally & look forward to learning more .
    I am seriously thinking a few ducks for this yr .
    Roxie

2. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

5. Thank You for the welcome ! I am enjoying all the chick pics !

6. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Welcome.

I read your blog, very nice. Maybe coming to you when we decide to start using ours for meat and not just eggs. Helpful pointers would be great.

You may want to consider getting dual purpose birds, that way you are able to collect eggs (layers). And if it is not working out, you can still use them for meat.

But again welcome to BYC.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

9. sourland