hello from MB

borealmum

Hatching
6 Years
Hi Everyone ,
I found the site via fb . I have been following there for awhile .Finally felt I could join the site because we did raise chickens this past yr. I love all the posts from small home nests .It has given me the confidence that we could do it .
We only did meat chickens because we only live out of the city 7 months of the yr . We rent my grandmothers old homestead from my mother from Apr.- Nov. until we can build on our own land . both my partner & I grew up country but just seemed to get stuck in the city raising kids etc. we are from the East Lake Winnipeg/Winnipeg River area of MB. homeschooling family .
Our ds17 helped his dad build our chicken house & it turned out wonderfuly .
We did have to use deer netting over top the outdoor fenced area because we have many raptors . we had an owl on the property for 11days straight . the crows that followed it around were more irritating then the owl though lol
We raised 12 birds & our ds12 was so excited when we drove to the supply store to pick the chicks up. He rode in the backseat all the way back .Lifting the lid of the box to peek at them .
I had an encounter with a raccoon one night because I forgot to shut the flaps of the house that evening .
When it came time for the killing we did this as a family . we each had our part .
I wrote about it on our blog so I won't re-write it here but my blog link is in my profile .
Anyway I am happy to have joined finally & look forward to learning more .
I am seriously thinking a few ducks for this yr .
Roxie

Glad you joined us!
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome.

I read your blog, very nice. Maybe coming to you when we decide to start using ours for meat and not just eggs. Helpful pointers would be great.

You may want to consider getting dual purpose birds, that way you are able to collect eggs (layers). And if it is not working out, you can still use them for meat.

But again welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom