1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Melbourne, Australia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CluckySam, Nov 10, 2009.

1. CluckySam

CluckySam Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hello,

I am (obviously) new [​IMG] to the forum, after lurking around for a few weeks. My name is Sam, I am a teacher (Gr 6) and I live in Melbourne, Australia with my hubbie, 1 DS (9yrs), 1 DD (6yrs), 2 cats and 7 new arrivals to our house since Sunday: 5 Barnevelder and 2 Gold-pencilled Hamburg pullets (about 12 weeks old). We are new to backyard chickens, but already have spent many hours watching them scratch around the pen, peck each others backsides and wrestle over who gets to sleep in the corner of the coop. We love our chooks! Still working on their names, but the Hamburgs are called Princess (thanks to my daughter for that name...) and Wonky Wanda (who has a wonky tail). One of the Barnevelders is called Marisa (my son chose this name...) I have really enjoyed eavesdropping on the forum, so I thought it was about time I joined up.

Cheers!
    Sam [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] from the state of Indiana in the U.S.!

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] from UT!

5. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Welcome from Arkansas! I've heard 2 new words comeing from Australia & New Zeland. What are "chooks",Baby chickens? What are Brown Shavers? Are they the same as a breed here in the U. S.? Very curious!

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Never mind,I looked it up. A Browm shaver is a commercial chicken house breed. A "chook" is just slang for chicken. Learn something new every day!

8. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    [​IMG] from Virginia!

9. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG]

10. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps