Hello from Miami

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jcdillin, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jcdillin

jcdillin New Egg

Dec 15, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to register and say hello, I am amazed at the amount of information here and I am really glad that there is a site like this.

I'm planning on keeping just a couple hens in the backyard for eggs and fertilizer. I've checked the local laws and it looks like i'm going to have to build a stealth chicken tractor so I don't cause too much trouble.

Anyone else from the Miami area?

Thanks!

Jerry

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, I was born in Coral Gables, but adopted at three days old and lived in Orlando my first year, then became a Georgian. Welcome to BYC!

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I was born in Key West but have been gone many years. Enjoy BYC!!!

4. jcdillin

jcdillin New Egg

Dec 15, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks everyone, I grew up in Arkansas on a small farm so it's quite frustrating here they have so many rules and regulations. Can't even keep chicks as pets.

I can't wait till I can move back up north somewhere with some more space!

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

Just don't tell us how warm you are, and we'll all get along just FINE.. [​IMG]

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us. Its 2 below zero here today, so I am wishing I could come meet you in person!! (it was 27 below last night, so this is a heat wave!)

7. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

It always starts with just a couple.....[​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

For a stealth chicken coop you could build a nice little shed, use 1/2 for storage and 1/2 for chickens. Use the back half for chickens, so when you open the door to show any inspectors all the see is a shed with storage.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yeah, ain't that the truth! I grew up part-time in Miami and now I'm freezing my tush off in Arkansas. What's wrong with this picture? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jcdillin

jcdillin New Egg

Dec 15, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah I had thought about that, I was thinking of the stealth trash can looking garden tractor. I'm not really worried about the city finding out as much as i'm worried about the neighbors ratting me out. Too bad they don't make silent chickens [​IMG] If they were just quiet no one would ever be the wiser since I have a privacy fence.

It's funny because all I want to do is move to a place where I can see four seasons again. I've lived here 13 years and it sucks seeing the same thing summer, fall, winter and spring. About the only thing that changes here is the influx of spring birds.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by