Hello from Michigan

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
Hello! I started lurking a few weeks before purchasing my chicks. I am brand new to chickens. I currently have 6 RIRs in my brooder. I purchased them at TSC, and was told that they were approximately 4 days old, at the time. They are supposed to be pullets (fingers crossed). No roosters allowed in my township. I'm thinking that 1 might be a cockerel, though. Too soon to say, as they are only 3 weeks old. But, the chick in question is the only one with a small tuft of a tail, compared to the others, who have big, fluffy tails. It's comb is only slightly more pronounced. It is very self-assured, but so are several of the others.

We have 2 golden retrievers, an umbrella cockatoo, 2 canaries and a parakeet.

I am a homemaker, glass artist and decorative painter. I enjoy gardening. I am a mom to 3, grown sons and a doting grandma to 1 grandson.

I live in hardiness zone 6, gardening-wise.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The tail tuft is not an indicator that you have a cockerel. Standing tall could simply mean that she's the most dominant. At this young age you want to look for early signs of red and slightly larger combs and wattles. Usually by 6 weeks it's fairly obvious who are the boys and who are the girls.

Thank you, DL! This is my coop crew. We were on a short "field trip" to the new chicken run, for a taste of things to come. Our days are quite nice, but our nights are rather cool. The hatchery that these chicks came from said that they would be fully feathered, and coop-able at 4 weeks of age. Does that seem early?

Attachments

• received_563090278180278.jpeg
    received_563090278180278.jpeg
    671.4 KB · Views: 6
:welcome

Hello, cute youngsters! Without knowing your overnight lows, it's probably safe to say you could put a huddle box in the coop for them. You can make one with just a cardboard box tipped on it's side with some bedding in it.
Thank you, NFC! Tonight, it will drop to 64 degrees. The chicks brooder temp is currently about 80 degrees. Feathers are coming in, nicely

Back
Top Bottom