Hello from Mississippi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Eviebob, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Eviebob

Eviebob Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Hello from Mississippi. I am Evie and my hubby is Bob. We are glad we found your forum. It has been a huge help as we are new to raising chicks. We purchased a variety of chicks, Buff Orphingtons, Rhode Island Reds, Scicilian Buttercups, Americanas, Gold and silver Wyondettes, all hen's. Bob and my neighbors worked hard on the Coop. The chicks are 4 weeks old now and just moved in. Exciting times! Didn't know we would get so attached to them. We feel like parents with NB babies. Lol.:D

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Yes, it is so easy to get attached to these bundles of fuzz. Great to hear your chicks are doing so well!!

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask around the forums. Welcome to our flock!

4. Eviebob

Mar 15, 2015
    Thank you for the warm welcome! I just came from visiting my chicks, all is well. I was thinking about my neighbors chicks who helped us get started. They have about 40 pullers and an existing flock of hen's, a duck and 1 rooster. There pulleys are around 4-6 weeks old and a few are looking a little beat up from being pecked on as they are still in there brooder boxes. He just built another so they would have more room. How old do they have to be before he can put them in with the Hen's? They have a huge coop. Will the Hen's attack them or take them under their wing?:cd

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! The hens will generally pick on the younger birds... It is best to wait until the pullets are about the same size as the hens and have a long period of the two flocks being able to see each other but no touching, through wire seem to work best, ie dividing the coop into two sections or keeping the new/younger ones in a cage inside the coup for a couple of weeks to a month at least. The chickens will get to know each other and sort of work out a pecking order before actually coming in contact with each other. After a week or two, letting them free range together is a good idea and should help... It will take a couple of weeks to get the pecking order sorted out. There is a nice article in the Learning Center on integrating flocks you might like to check out, the part about actually combining them is after the quarantine section https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

6. Eviebob

Mar 15, 2015
    Thank you very much. This makes sense!:thumbsup

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Hi Evie and Bob, nice to meet you. Hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

1 person likes this.
  8. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 November....... my favorite month Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

9. Eviebob

Mar 15, 2015
    Thanks Chicken girl!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

How nice to meet you! Welcome to the flock, Evie and Bob!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by